VGA Wii cable? How can I connect it to my monitor?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Chone, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I was thinking of how awfully convenient it would be to have a Wii next to my computer and just play it on my monitor, the problem is, I don't know how I would go about connecting it, is a VGA Wii cable going to be released? What about a component to vga dongle, will that work? Are they any good?

At this point I might just get a 24" BenQ HDMI LCD or a Samsung 244t, both have component inputs and will work great if I ever decide to get a PS3 or whatever.

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

A component-to-VGA converter is going to be expensive (at least $100, and that's not even a very good one). Dunno if there's going to be a Wii VGA cable, since by definition the Wii is not a hi-def device.

3. SBleed@mchsi.co macrumors member

SBleed@mchsi.co

Most everything I've read said that Nintendo of America stated that the Wii would connect to moniters, but later retracted the statement. Probly the only way to connect it would be to get some sort of TV tuner card for your computer, but anytime I've used those I get the same quality as I do on a TV.

Maybe re-wire the Dreamcast VGA box if yer good enough with electronics.
    On second thought, I don't think that would work at all. nvrmnd

4. daze macrumors 6502

daze

On my HD TV, component looks good, but not nearly as sharp as VGA cable for the Xbox 360.

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I agree. I just switched from component to VGA for one of my 360's last week, and it's much sharper. (Not to mention, DVD upconversion to 1080i is now possible.)

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Actually, component-to-VGA adapters are quite cheap. It's the DVI ones that are expensive (converting from analog to digital).

7. SBleed@mchsi.co macrumors member

SBleed@mchsi.co

Unfortunately I think Nintendo was scared off of having the latest video technology when it failed with the Gamecube.

They gave the Gamecube a component port, but then removed it from later models because less than 10% or something of the gamecubes sold actually had the component cable on them.

So unfortunately Nntendo took that as a sign that no one was really interested in a having sharp high-res picture.

Bad marketing by Nintendo was the real reason for the comptent failure though. They only made it available from their website. If they had sold it at best buy or wal-mart then they would've sold a lot more component cables and the Nintendo Wii might possibly have had a more powerful graphics system.

Continue voting Plz. :D

8. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Yeah, this really annoys me with the Wii. They announce that it will have VGA, then pull it.

I <3 me some VGA. Dreamcast games look much sharper, brighter, and clearer than PS2 games with VGA output.

Cant really try to mod the VGA box, as the Dreamcasts VGA output is actually built into the PowerVR2 chip itself, not the box.

9. SBleed@mchsi.co macrumors member

SBleed@mchsi.co

Yeah. I thought mildly about re-wiring my VGA-box... Then about 2 seconds later I realized that no matter what I did, It's not gonna work. Proprietary hardware. DAMN!

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I contacted Nintendo about this, both in the regular peasant way and though a contact in the industry and both came back with "No to VGA". It will be done though. 3rd parties will be all over this hole in the market.
    For now I'll be using a cheap Component > VGA adapter (that works an absolute treat too - cheers MRU!). Just hope the Component Wii cables are as good quality as my DVD players, the conversion works a treat with them.

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

To be honest I don't think Nintendo ever announced it. One official stated it to a reporter who was probably badgering him with questions, not the company. Nintendo themselves never made a comment on it, and the official in question probably doesn't even remember that he said it back in 2004.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I wonder why this decision was made... if memory serves me correctly, the multi-out analog adaptor that Nintendo used on the SNES, N64, and GC allowed for cheap VGA output. Which makes it kind of surprising that, now that people actually have TVs with VGA ports, it's not possible!

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Really? I've never seen a GC VGA cable...or SNES or N64 or NES.

14. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Neither have I.... :confused:

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

16. wongulous macrumors 6502a

It'd make the most sense to use an EyeTV Hybrid or 250 or similar (e.g. Hauppage's 950/980 that is exactly the same, from CompUSA), and input that way. Then you can record TV shows and watch HD over-the-air programs on your Mac, too. The iMac 24 + an EyeTV + console of your choice + decent receiver and speakers could really be a great setup for a student or someone with limited space.

17. erise macrumors member

I got a component to VGA converter on eBay for $45. I'll use it with my Wii when I (hopefully) get it tonight. For now I've been using it with my GameCube and it works very well. It's only compatible with 480p games, but many GameCube games are 480p and most Wii games should be 480p. You'll get a higher quality image with a component to VGA converter than you would with an eyeTV, which can only accept a composite or s-video image.

18. Chone thread starter macrumors 65816

Chone

Yeah I have a free VGA plug in my monitor thats just DYING to have something connected to it and it would be really convenient to have my Wii and my computer at the same place, hmm, where can I find a good inexpensive component to vga converter? Can you send me some links, ebay is out of the question by the way, I don't want to spend more than 100$ (tops and this is stretching it) for both the wii component cables and the converter.

19. erise macrumors member

I don't know of anywhere to get one cheaper than eBay and $45 was the cheapest for the converter that I could find. http://www.vdigi.com/ has a converter for $60 plus $13 shipping.

20. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Where did you get your box or cable? I'm in the market for one.

21. erise macrumors member

I just got my Nintendo Wii and hooked it up to my computer monitor through the component to VGA converter converter box, but the Wii is set by default to 480i so it wouldn't display. I couldn't change it to 480p on a regular television, so I had to change it to 480p on an HDTV. Then I hooked it back up to my monitor through the component to VGA converter and it worked very nicely... until I tried to play a GameCube game and the Wii got switched back to 480i mode. So I can't use it with my monitor anymore until I hook it back up to the HDTV and select 480p again. Very frustrating... I'll probably just have to use my TV instead of my monitor to play the Wii. The Wii itself is great though--I tried Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz and it's very fun.

22. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

That's really daft! I hope they release a firmware update sharpish to fix this. Its not exactly hard to turn 480i into 480p after all.

23. imacintel macrumors 68000

I don't get it. I thought the worst was VGA, and the best is DVI.:confused:

24. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto