V'ger Exits The Solar System

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by obeygiant, Mar 20, 2013.

1. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

link

2. filmbuff, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013

macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure why this is news now since all of that information was announced when it happened 7 months ago. There isn't a fine line between the solar system and interstellar space and Voyager has been "leaving" through the heliopause for years. They found some interesting stuff out there.

I think the coolest thing about it is that in 2011, after a full 21 years of dormant cruising, Voyager 1 was still able to power its engines and turn on command.

3. Guest

eric/

Awesome stuff. Poor Voyager is probably so lonely. :(

4. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

I find it amazing that we can still communicate with a device that was launched over 30 years ago and is now 11+ billion miles from earth.

5. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I agree and also considering the technology on the spacecraft being over 30 years old too and still working.

I read about this in August when it made the news and it still fascinates me about the whole [star] trek. ;) The furthest man-made object from Earth.

6. thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I was thinking that too although the article was published today. The American Geophysical Union officially declared it based on a change in the cosmic rays.

7. Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Thanks for posting this, OP.

Agreed, it is awesome. Actually, I remember when Voyager (both Voyagers) blasted off, and remember the TV coverage at the time, and later, too, during the planetary flypasts, (and also recall the coverage of the Jupiter fly past by the late Carl Sagan in his wonderful series 'Cosmos' which had me absolutely rivetted when it was first broadcast in the early 1980s).......

Yes, but isn't it amazing that it is still capable of communicating what is happening to it and what it experiences through its wonderfully sturdy instruments?

So do I. Fantastic.

Awesome (that wonderful American words fits best, here) and spine-tingling. Stories like this still thrill me.

Again, thanks for posting and sharing. I don't care that this was first flagged seven months ago - it is a great story and a deeply thought-provoking tale. It puts many things into perspective, somehow.

8. macrumors 68020

Mac'nCheese

30 years old and still working! And we are talking about it on a forum where people go to make sure the phone they want to buy isn't going to be upgraded in five months. Cause then the old one will be junk!

9. Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Nice distinction, and nicely made - and fair - point, too. ;)

10. macrumors G5

jav6454

I wonder how far will it reach until it stops transmitting.

11. Contributor

Scepticalscribe

As do I. And also think to ask how long it will take to get there........

12. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Well put!

Most younger people probably have no concept of the work put into these space probes back then and the forethought the scientists and engineers had to have in order to make the craft "future proof" since they obviously realized that there was no upgrade path for them.

13. macrumors regular

14. macrumors 603

I wonder if NASA needs to maintain a suite of older communications equipment for compatibility? Or have they migrated all the communications to their current equipment...

Just idle curiosity. I too remember when they were launched, and the possibilities that were discussed. wow.

15. macrumors 68030

joepunk

It would be interesting to know what equipment they are now using. It would also be awesome of we (non-nasa people) could pickup V'gers signals on "homemade" equipment :) Just like the amateur radio operators could pickup the signal from Sputnik.

16. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If you have a satellite receiver at least 10 feet wide, know which direction to point it in and have equipment that can listen to the 8GHz band, you can potentially pick it up. Some guy in Portugal did it back in 2006.

17. macrumors 6502a

eBay here I come.

18. macrumors 6502

Candlelight

I know, some people around here have trouble with iPhones that are 3 years old...

19. macrumors member

Some alien out there is really gonna be pi$$ed when our junk floats by his/her living room window. "There goes the neighborhood." :)

20. macrumors 68000

Voyager has the record featuring music and also directions to earth? It would be interesting to launch a version of Jeff Bezo's 10,000 year clock, although far away in some strange gravity aliens may not be able to directly relate to time as we know it. It would still be cool, transmitting chimes as it flies on forever.

21. macrumors 6502

Actually the time would be off:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

22. macrumors 603

23. macrumors 603

mrkramer

According to the wikipedia article it will run out of power and not be able to power any individual instrument sometime between 2025 and 2030.

24. macrumors G5

jav6454

I bet the article has the answer to this next question. Why will it run out of power? Not enough sun light?

25. macrumors 603

quagmire

They are powered by RTG's. The plutonium in them will be used up.