VHS to Computer via Firewire?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Neo Mike, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Neo Mike macrumors newbie

Hey Guys!
    Just purchased a new 1.67 powerbook a while back, with maxxed out ram and vram, superdrive, etc.

Anyways, I'm planning on converting my VHS Collection to DVD... specifically, I have a bunch of my wife's basketball tapes of her playing varsity bball from back in the day, and she would love me to get them archived digitally on a dvd.

What hardware would I need to purchase to get this to work? I have a lacie drive for storing the files before I burn them to dvd. Is there any hardware that can do this for under say $500.00? What is recommended?

How hard is this to do? What program would I use? Final Cut Pro? or?

Thanks in advance!

2. Bob_Barker macrumors regular

Most DV cameras will allow you to record from an analog source, thus creating a digital copy on the DV tape. Then, it's as easy as import and edit. There are capture cards for somewhere around $100, but I would spring for a low end DV camera for the added functonality the camera offers.

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I got one of these from the Apple store for $200. It does its job.

I just connect it to my PB via firewire, open iMovie and import.

I can even connect my TV to my PB and it acts as a really, REALLY crude Tivo.

but the DV camera is probably the better choice. Oy.

4. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

there are firewire devices that will allow you to plug in an analog s-video or composite video to digitize film --- the other options is to use a MINI DV as a bridge, where you don't acctually have to record to one device and then to computer, but rather you can just play your video from your analog source through your DV camera and capture via firewire straight to computer hard drive --- Final Cut Pro would be the easiest ... but i've had success with iMovie aswell.

5. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I've never tried to use the EyeTV 200 as a recording device, but that's listed as one of the features. Once your finished converting the video, you don't have a useless box. The EyeTV package is great. Right now you can get one for less than $300 or check eBay.

6. tweakers_suck macrumors regular

I use a Canon ZR90 mini dv camcorder with the built-in analog-to-digital converter. It works great!

7. Indohottie macrumors 6502

Indohottie

my 2 cents...

I have an elgato eye tv 200. got it for 200 shipped from elgato.. having a sale on refurb.. mine was new in shrink wrap..

Love it.. once you get use to the interface and hooked up to titan tv.. you are solid!

Very nice piece of equipment..

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Any idea as to how this compares with a Canopus ADVC-110 (available from, among other places, the Apple Store)? I can't find a price on the DAC-100, but the ADVC-110 is ~US$300. It would seem, based on the info I can find, that the Canopus is better, but I wonder if anyone has a more informed opinion.

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The DAC-100 is CAN$299 here, should be US$199-$239 in the US
    I haven't done a comparison, but I have several customers (universities mainly) who have compared them and have all decided to standardize on the DAC-100

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Thanks - that strongly suggests that, even if the DAc-100 is technically inferior (which is uncertain), it is certainly sufficient - and cheaper.

12. Neo Mike thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm anyway to go straight thru my dv camera to the computer, or do I need to record it to the tape on the camera, then transfer it?

13. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

You can go straight through. I prefer Canon consumer cameras, but if you are looking for more prosumer equipment, I love Panasonic.

14. Neo Mike thread starter macrumors newbie

Weird

IMovie Crashes if I try to go straight through. It seems I have to record to tape first?

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

This is actually very dependent on the camcorder - some require you tape it first simply because, although they accept analog input and do DV output, they can't do both at once. Since yours apparently can do both at once, perhaps the analog->digital converter isn't "good enough" for iMovie (syncing issues, etc.), and you'll need to tape it first, then transfer it.

Hopefully, if you're using a tape (i.e., have taped the VCR tape onto a DV tape), the DV transfer should work.

Best of luck!

16. Neo Mike thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah seems to be working if I go to DV tape first.

Next question for you a/v experts:
    How can i pull the audio from one of these videos once I get them on my Mac? I'd like to make an MP3 of a few of the clips...

Suggestions? Whats the easiest method?

I have final cut pro at my disposal, as well as imovie, etc...

17. Raoul Teulings macrumors newbie

Pinnacle MovieBox and iMovie

Hi,

Can someone help me out on this one? I want to convert VHS tapes to DVD but cannot get it done by the Moviebox and iMovie. I get the blue screen in iMovie with the message "Camera attached" but no visuals. What setting did I miss?

Thanks.

18. Raoul Teulings macrumors newbie

Moviebox and iMovie

Hi,

Somehow my Moviebox does recognize my Hi8 camera but not the Panasonic VCR. Do I need to switch to another setting? I do get the brue scren with the message the "camera is connected" but no visuals....

Raoul.