Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Alright you guys, quick question, Im gonna use FCP to add some touches to my parents wedding VHS and such and burn it on a DVD for them and all. So VCR: Check, G5: Check, Final Cut Studio: Check.

Now, to plus my VCR to my G5, will this unit be good? Im sure there are better out there but my main issue is quality of transfer via USB 2.0 and not firewire (witch is how I import most of the video editing work I do) and second, OSX should be able to pick this up right away via FCP right?

Adaptec VideOh DVD

The reason i pick this again is cause i can get a brand new unit for $30-40

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
That thing converts it to DVD quality MPEG-2 so I'd stay away from it. Borrow a DV camera from a friend and go VCR--Analog-->DV Camera--FW-->Mac.

Lethal

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
LethalWolfe said:
That thing converts it to DVD quality MPEG-2 so I'd stay away from it. Borrow a DV camera from a friend and go VCR--Analog-->DV Camera--FW-->Mac.

Lethal

I agree. This has the added advantage of leaving you with a nice digital backup of the wedding video on DV tape if you structure your workflow to include the record to DV tape step and don't merely use the camcorder as a pass through device.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
LethalWolfe said:

Lethal

I have a DV Camera for sure, so thats what you recommend?
im checking my Sony DV Cam and it seems I have S-Video in...about it...I have plenty of USB and FW out but nothing else in...Some form of 1 Pin RCA audio in too...Have to see if the VCR has an s-video out or not.

evil_santa said:
also the small issue of it only working on Windows.

Indeed it is but if it just had an RCA to USB, OSX>FCP should be able to detect it.

Mycatisbigfoot

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
Get this Pinnacle™ Video Capture for Mac® Its a usb Device, ( I own one)
and i make very high quality rock band videos, the only down side with this device is that you have to remove the file from itunes, but that is not hard but the device runs on a usb, and it will work with 1.1 as i have used it with an imac g3 and also got good video, but then also i was using a 360, a tape is a drifrent storry, but i have imported 8mm using the device and it looks as good as the tapes, so yea, thats the best i can say for know

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.