vibrantmedia warning (cross-posting)

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheZebster, Nov 26, 2003.

1. TheZebster macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2003
    These folks:

have invented a particularly intrusive (though admittedly clever) type of advertising, which I first noticed earlier today on macrumors. Each vibrantmedia ad contains javascript that scans the page in which it is contained, and in real-time embeds advertisements WITHIN THE TEXTUAL PART of the page. These ads are double-underlined and very prominent. I was very puzzled at first because the page source didn't match what I was seeing; it took me a while to figure out what was going on. I recommend blocking and/or in your HOSTS file. Unless you want microsoft ads interspersed with your rumors.
  2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    if there is advertising on MR, which is not limited to posts themselves, it's because Arn put it there... this company doesn't just come along and start sticking ads in, there has to be some contract. so blocking the ads would technically be harmful to the site that is paid for them.

i have yet to see an example of it on MR tho...

3. arn macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    this is actually on purpose. it is in the code of the page (see the very bottom).

only appears in Windows IE at this time... still testing.

4. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    Heh, I think you have isolated the problem. :)

I just celebrated my one year anniversary of switching. Ahhh still feels good! :D
  5. medea macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    then obviously this is not a current event....I'm surprised no one has moved it yet.
    good looking out I guess.....?