Vicegrips, cardboard and a little luck

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dcoltonbrown, Dec 1, 2003.

1. dcoltonbrown macrumors member

Jul 29, 2003
    I wish I had a digital camera so you could see how I am getting my iBook to work. The logic board died again (5th time, first time on a replacement computer - all in about 8 months). I can get it to work with a vicegrip clamped on the left hand side...amazing, with the vicegrip it is flawless, without it, it won't even boot - go figure! I have Applecare, but I had to give a presentation today - so in desperation, I came up with the vicegrip idea...can you imagine what it is like to give a presentation with vicegrips clamped to your computer...then wondering if the screen would freeze up right in the middle of it?

Anyway, my question is this. I have been through the gambit with Apple. After they replaced my 1st iBook, I thought the problem would be solved, nonetheless - this logic board failures continue. I have spoken with level II supervisors and the Executive Customer Care Department in the past - who should I contact now? What kind of resolution do you think I should demand? I was thinking maybe I would ask them to trade me out for a comparable desktop...but I really enjoy portability. I would ask them to upgrade me to a g4 or powerbook and I would pay the difference, but I am not really in the position to spend any money during this time of the year.

Any Suggestions? Over the past 8 months I have had 5 logic board failures, a HDD failure and an optical drive failure. Just seems as if my experience with Apple is getting worst and worst.
  2. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    have you been bringing the book into a store or handling it over the phone and then mailing it in? In my experience the in-shop people are a billion times more competent than the folks that work in the warehouse.
  3. dcoltonbrown thread starter macrumors member

Jul 29, 2003
    Over the phone right now. There are no Apple stores in the Louisville area. Besides, I thought they sent all portables to the warehouse.
  4. tomf87 macrumors 65816

Sep 10, 2003

Just so you know, there is an Apple Store in Kenwood, Ohio, which is about 15 minutes north of downtown Cincinnati. That's about 1.5 hours from Louisville.

I know that's not close to Louisville, but if it solves your problems, it may be worth the trip.

Good luck,

5. dcoltonbrown thread starter macrumors member

Jul 29, 2003
    Well, some lady by the name of Amy Antenelli called me yesterday afternoon and basically argued with me for about 15 minutes. I don't think Apple isn't going to resolve this issue...and that is too bad. The war begins today
  6. Spock macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2002
    Are You bringing Your iBook into a war zone? Is it not weird that You have had a HD Fail, 5 logic boards fail, Optical drive fail etc.
    If I were Apple I think I would begin to wonder about the way You care for Your iBook.
  7. dcoltonbrown thread starter macrumors member

Jul 29, 2003
    Me and a few thousand other disgruntled iBook owner's with logic board issues. I am pretty anal about taking care of my is a source of income for me. So, since you don't really know I treat my iBook, and so can keep your comments to yourself.

That is just one thread. Do a search for logic boards on the iBook forum. Nontheless, this isn't a ****ing debate about the logic board issue or how I treat my iBook - I just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on how to go about this.

But thanks, your zealotry does Apple well!

Live long and prosper
  8. lmann macrumors member

Nov 26, 2003
    Just for your information, I have basolutely NO problems with my ibook. Reading this over also makes me wonder what you do with your ibook, and in that case "those other who also have problems with their ibooks"....:confused:
  9. dcoltonbrown thread starter macrumors member

Jul 29, 2003
    Just because you don't have a problem with your iBook doesn't make all iBooks perfect! I have heard that logic b4.

Anyway...WHY THE HELL DO I HAVE TO DEFEND MYSELF TO ZEALOTS LIKE YOU WHO THINK APPLE CAN DO NO WRONG. Open your eyes little boy. Just do a cursory search and you will find many more people with these issues.

I hope your logic board crashes...I will laugh to no end. It will happen, just wait. Just wait. And I want you to remember your asanine comments you zealot.

Wasteland this thread....I don't feel like dealing with a bunch of immature zealots!!
  10. KentuckyApple macrumors regular

Jul 2, 2003
    Chicago, IL

dcoltonbrown, i live in Louisville too. Have you tried MacTown on Bardstown rd? I believe they are apple certified. However, i have never had the need to go there for service. I would be more than happy to help you in any way possible. If you ever have a Mac problem, let me know!