video/audio chatting for mac & pc?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dragonball05, Nov 20, 2005.

1. dragonball05 macrumors member

Hi,

I'm trying to find a good way to have audio/video chat with friends. I have
    a powerbook with OS X, and my friends have macs and/or pcs (with windows on the pcs). Anybody knows of a good way to do that?

I use skype for the audio part, and it works fine. MSN's mac version doesn't seem to support video(?!!). And on yahoo messanger i don't seem to be able
    to have supermode on.... So if you have a solution to the msn or yahoo problem, that would do it. Otherwise, are there any other options?

Thanks,
    DB

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Why not use iChat? You can to voice and video with both platforms through AIM. Heck, in the new version of iChat, you can have more than one video and audio chat going at the same time.

3. dragonball05 thread starter macrumors member

i thought for ichat one needs a full .mac membership... is there a free way out? (i don't really need my chat to be secured!!! and i do need it for more than 60 days!!! and it is a matter of principle to me that any kind of chat that is not free is just wrong)

4. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Not at all. iChat uses the AIM chatting network. It also support ICQ. All you need to do is either use a .mac name (if you are a .mac member), or go to www.aim.com and get an AOL IM screen name. You're friends need to do the same.

iChat doesn't require .mac at all. It will work with .mac members, but its not a requirement.

5. dragonball05 thread starter macrumors member

oh.. i didn't notice that i could also pick AIM account in the ichat set-up :)
    will ichat work fine with a LogitechPro 4000 webcam, instead of isight??
    if so, then that would be the solution!!!! (and thanks!!! :) )

DB

6. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

I think it will work though not too sure...let me know if it works...
    Anyway, u can also try out Mercury or aMSN for webcam on MSN...

7. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

You can use iChat. Just make sure your PC friends have the latest version of AIM and a webcam. I do this all the time with my PC friends that use AIM. Works great.

8. dragonball05 thread starter macrumors member

it seems that ichat cannot detect my logitech quickcam pro 4000!
    any hints?

DB

9. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

I don't use Logitech with iChat but perhaps this tutorial may provide you with the hints. Look under the 'recommendations.' ;)

10. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

If you want to do Audio chatting with your PC friends I recommend Skype, very few of my Windows friends have AIM clients that have audio chatting capabilities. Skype lets you do up to 50 people in an audio chat, and I find the program to be pretty good as long as you have high speed.
    www.skype.com

11. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

The only thing I miss about Skype is the platform for video chatting. :eek:

12. dragonball05 thread starter macrumors member

yeah.. i totally agree with fayans.. maybe they'll come up with that soon?!! :)

as for isight, i think it is too expensive for my needs.. again, my principle is that any software that is supposed to "bring people together" should be free.
    and the gadgets that are needed for that should be vertually free..

it looks like aMSN (the beta j or k versions [google them]) works fine with
    my Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000. i'll let you guys know if it keeps working
    fine.. i don't think there's audio though.. but there is skype for that :)

besides aMSN as an MSN-like protocol, and most PC people use this or yahoo. yahoo works fine as is. i just don't seem to be able to get supermode to work (even though on apple's site for yahoo im, it says this version supports supermode!). also, whenever i try to open the preferences, yahoo crashes!!!

i'll let you know how aMSN works for me..

DB

13. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Nothing is "free" in this world! Even iChat comes at a price (the price of OS X). iChat only works with FW based cameras. So you can use an iSight, DV Cam, or other FW Cameras. iChat will NOT work work with USB cameras, unless they've changed that recently.

14. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

15. dragonball05 thread starter macrumors member

it is now official! aMSN works (if you download beta J or K, and with it the imagemagick plugin). at least it works nicely for me, with my quickcam pro 4000. it is not chuncky like yahoo (where i couldn't get supermode to work!).
    it is good enough quality for my purposes. and for audio i just skype.

there you go. Mac still rules.. and will always do....
    (it is silly that micro$oft won't make a full msn version for mac.. but hey,
    who needs them! heh heh)

16. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

I have been using iChat with iChatUSBcam and my Logitech Quickcam for notebooks pro. and it has worked perfectly.

Have a look here for compatibility:

http://ecamm.com/mac/ichatusbcam/configs.html

It looks like the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 is supported so you may be in luck. The drive is only $9.95 so I would give it a go.

17. KC Dragonfly macrumors newbie

I downloaded iGlasses for my iSight camera. Major improvement!!
    The same site offered a download for a logitec webcam to get it to work. It is costing 8 dollar, but worth it. Take a look at: http://www.ecamm.com/mac/iglasses/:)

18. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I agree - nothing is free, someone spent his or her time to make the software I use. And their time is worth something. While I'm always happy to discover free software put out there by someone, my principle is that it's a good thing that people who make great software, get paid for their trouble.

19. istonedu321 macrumors member

istonedu321

for video chatting, believe it or not, i use my sony handy cam. was using ichat one day and had my camera on and hooked up through its firewire, and discovered that i would now use it as a webcam.

20. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I do that, too - works great :D