Video Cable Length???

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by iriejedi, Nov 28, 2003.

1. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

How long can a video cable be? I want to locate my compputer about 15 feet from my monitor can you get a 15 foot video cable? Or chain 3 together?

Just curious... maybe it was too much turkey yesterday and I'm going insane but it dawned on me the space advantage I'd have by moving CPU. I'd actually create a much better office space but the best new location is locateded, you guessed it, about 15 feet away....

Thanks,

IJ

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

3. Tim Flynn macrumors regular

With analog video aucha s the DB15 style connectors, you can extender cables or video switch box(es). But ... the higher the resolution and more cables the poorer the picture. Most likely unacceptable.
    Using DVI, there maybe extender cables but I don't know. There are DVI video switch boxes, but they're not cheap. Since its Digital (the D in DVI), in general it either works or it doesn't.

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

S-Video

I actually have a similar quesiton, and thought I would post it here. Is there any limit to the length of an s-video cable before the signal becomes unstable? I will be hooking up my new iMac to my TV via s-video, but will need to use a 6-ft cable. Should this be fine? I assume for such a short distance it should be, but I just wanted to check. I imagine that the longer the cable gets, the more problems might arise in data transfer, but I don't know at what point (6ft, 12 ft, 30ft) that is.

Any help would be appreciated!

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

s-video can go pretty far without needing boosters. i'd say 50 feet at least, do a google search... it's the video used when they wire entire houses up, video distribution systems, if that tells you anything.

pnw

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I figured as much, I just wanted to check. In my old setup I used to run Win2k Server with a 12-ft cable and my video would always cut out when doing s-video to my TV. I was 95% sure it wasn't the cable length, moreso the OS+video drivers, etc., but it never hurts to check!

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

A lot of the restrictions on cable length relate to the quality of the cables, too--for example, since S-Video is analog it won't just disappear if the cable is too long, the quality will degrade. The better the cable, the longer you can go without noticing any difference.

As for VGA connections, I've run 25-foot cables and had things look decent, if a bit fuzzy. That setup also included a signal splitter/booster, though, which caused further degredation. Long VGA cables are pricy, and not that easy to find. You also need a monitor that doesn't have a built-in cable, or you'll need a M-F extension cable, which is going to cause further signal degredation.

If you buy the stuff and try it, you'll know pretty quickly whether it's up to snuff for your eyes--it'll either look blurry or it won't.