video camera advice please

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by DesignDJ, Nov 30, 2006.

1. DesignDJ macrumors newbie

I want to buy a video camera, but i am clueless when it comes to them. I don't want to spend too much, maybe $200 - $300. Can anyone give me some tips? Basically I want to be able to hook it up to my macbook pro and edit the videos. I don't care about recording dvds on the actual camera.

help!

2. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

For what it's worth, CamcorderInfo gave the Canon Elura 100 the camcorder of the year award. Here is the review.

Looks like you can get it for just above $300 from Amazon.

3. Rasheem macrumors regular

I love sony cameras!

4. bobblemeyer macrumors newbie

You have a "good dilemma". There are lots of good cameras out there and at remarkably low prices (relative to the quality). So you're in a very good situation. I've been shooting professionally for 15 years (film to BetaCam to DV) and recently bought a little Panasonic PV-GS29. Impressive. And it should fit your price range.
    Good luck.
    -Craig

5. andy.barron macrumors 6502

Sorry to bust the party, but as you are an experienced video geezer bobblemayer, could you look at my post in the Community Discusion forum & help please mate?

6. DesignDJ thread starter macrumors newbie

I was looking at some of the canons, i tend to like their products, and they always work super well with apple products.

7. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

Apple has always seemed to pair with Canon and Panasonic very well.

I've read more than one post about Sony camera being finicky with Apple, in that, and these issues may be resolved, if the camera settings aren't just right iMovie and Final Cut won't recognize the thing. This might be an overblown issue, but I've seen enough posts on the subject not to dismiss it too quickly. Rasheem could most likely provide more insight.

I would bet that Canon's optics and the DIGIC chip's processing produce an outstanding image. The Elura also has a true 16:9 CCD, and I'm betting has a higher pixel count than most cameras in its price and class.

8. SRSound macrumors 6502