video camera not seen

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by DAVE2158, Oct 25, 2004.

1. DAVE2158 macrumors newbie

I have a JVC GRD90 connected to and G4 iMac Imovies does not see the camera. can this be because the firewire connection on the camera is 4pins and the iMAC is 6pin. and if this is so is there a fix or can I use the USB connection and wounld I need a crossover cable for that.
    Thanks For The help..
    :)

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

It is not because of the pins (though it could be a bad cable). It is most likely a sequencing issue. Sometimes you have to hook things up in a particular order for it to work with Firewire. I don't remember off hand what the proper order is, but try to connect the camera while the power (of the camera) is off then turn on the camera. If that doesn't work try to have the camera on and plug the cable into the computer first and then the camera. Play with some other sequences as it should work.

If it still doesn't try to borrow a friend's so you can verify if the cable is bad. If your friend's works then it may be that your camera is not supported. make sure you have all the altest updates and then consult Apple. Hope that helps.

3. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

perhaps

not sure about this model of camera.. on our Canon (with a 4pin to 6pin cable) we had to set the camera up for Digital out. and then remove the tape to get any output to a G4.

4. DAVE2158 thread starter macrumors newbie

There has to be a better way

You got to be kidding I thought I just hook-up and there it is the world is perfect and Apple rules. now I have to play around this is like owning a peecee. Well anyway I will try and tell you how things are going and Thanks for the help Keep the faith.