Video Capture Device for my ibook?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by triadone, Dec 5, 2004.

1. triadone macrumors newbie

Dec 5, 2004
    Hello all,
    i'm a complete noob to the mac world. well not completely, i used to do graphic design on them way back in college b4 switching my major. but i am completely new to OS X. i just bought a new 1.2Ghz 12" iBook which should be delivered tomorrow! i'm hoping to do some vhs-->DVD archiving and video capture ASAP. (i'll be plugging the ibook into my router, sharing the folder, and burning on my desktop).

in any case i'm hoping to get some help w/ choosing a video capture device. basic list of requirements:
    - OS X and WindowsXP (my desktop) compatible
    - all media sources converge to the USB2 or firewire connection. (i have seen some which have audio/video in and the output for video is piped via USB and the audio is sent out to a regular stereo plug meant for the line-in/mic jack on the receiving system) since the iBook's do not have a line-in/mic jack (grumble grumble) this is a hassle. i'd really like my videos to have audio. ;)
    - USB2 or firewire support
    - 720x480 resolution at 30fps (hence the USB2)
    - ~$100, preferably under

i've seen a few devices out there. at the top of my list are:
    - ATI TV Wonder USB 2.0
    - Plextor ConvergeX

So my questions for these products are driver based. I know ATI has made products for both the Mac and Windows platforms and the ConvergeX is slated as a Mac Edition. If a Mac Edition comes out from ATI will it be any different than the product now? i.e.-exact same hardware, bundled w/ OS X software.

My question for the ConvergeX is similar. Is there any reason I can't buy a non-Mac ConvergeX (significantly sheaper) and simply be able to use it w/ Mac software?

if i can buy the ATI product now, use it on my PC, and get the Mac drivers later it would be my best option. Any thoughts? Other products that r Mac specific?

your help would be awesome! :D thanks!!!
  2. triadone thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 5, 2004
  3. advres Guest

Oct 3, 2003
    If you have a digital camcorder you can always hook that up via firewire and then hook up your analog vcr or old camcorder to the analog inputs on the digital video carmera and use it as a bridge.

Right now I use a little product called the dazzle made by broadway. Mine was the first rev and it is a POS but it gets the job done for analog video soources and output to an NTSC monitor. I heard the newer versions of it are a lot better but I will continue to use this until it completely craps out.

Just google anaolg to digital video bridges and you should come up with a bunch. I would just read all reviews possible and make a descision based on that.

Most of these will hook up via firewire and just use the apple codec to digitaize the video. You probably don't need anything but the bridge.