Video Capture on the G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Minakke, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Minakke macrumors newbie

May 6, 2004
    I am interested in getting my G5 prepped up for capturing video (from 2 specific sources) but I do not know where to start looking as I never done this before. My Internet Searches keep taking me to random company web sites that really aren't helpful in what I need.

Here is what I want to do.

I want to be able to capture video from these 2 extrenal sources.

1. From VCR. I have tons of old family Video Tapes I want to capture and burned on DVD.

2. I have some PC Game demo's I want to render into Video, so I can make some music videos. I tried to use apps like FRAPS and GameCam, but it renders video way too slow (My games run at over 85FPS, these apps only do 12 - 30 FPS). My only solution is to connect my PC to another computer (my Mac) and capture the demo as video. How would I do this?

Anyway I am pretty much ready to spend up to $400 to get what I need, to be able to perform these two functions. I just need to know what I should be looking at because I read about Video Capture Cards and USB Video Capture and FireWire Video Capture and I do not know anything about these. I just need to capture from a VCR and from a PC's VGA output.

If this will prove to be useful I have:

Mac: G5 Dual 1.8GHz, 2GB Ram, GeForce FX 5200, OSX Panther.
    PC: AMD 64 3200+, 2GB Ram, GeForce 6800 Ultra OC, Windows XP.

Any suggestions and recommendations would be great. Thanks. :)
  2. TranceClubMusic macrumors regular

Jan 7, 2004
    Miami, FLorida
    Go to this website:

Thats the Product I use on my G5.
    Its cheap, can be purchased Local at CompUSA, Best Buy, and Circuit City.

I does everything you want and more.
    Its external so there is NO messing with the Inside of your G5, its fast, has all the available inputs and outputs. Will accept VHS Players, DVD Players, Old 8mm Cam Corders, and of course anything NEW (Firewire as well) - Best of all its CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!! I paid $150.00 :D
  3. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Forget the rest, go with the best....

Both Mac and PC friendly. Yes, it does cost a little bit more than some, but then again excellent quality and no aggravation are worth paying more for aren't they?

If you do a search on MR you'll see this topic has been discussed many times before, and the conclusions always remain virtually unchanged.
  4. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

May 20, 2004
    VHS to DVD

I have a G5 and I use it for video, but if what I want is a straight duplication of a VHS tape onto DVD (i.e., no editing involved), I use a set top DVD recorder (attached to my stereo system). For straight duplication, it's much easier than involving a computer at all. For $350 or so, the convenience factor is well worth the price.

I'd confine the G5 to tasks involving editing, sound dubbing, and the like.