video capture tools

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by wiredsc, Mar 8, 2005.

1. wiredsc macrumors member

wiredsc

Im not too sure what to call what im after.

I am looking for prices on a converter that attaches to the AV plugs on the back of a VCR and into the firwire on the mac, so I can capture video in my editing program. Ive checked a few electric stores, but nothing so far.

Any suggestions?

a store in the UK would be best.

thanks

2. iTron5 macrumors newbie

I believe these 2 products fit what your looking for, now i've never dealt with the companies selling these, so you might want to search around the net for someone selling them. I have used a version of the pyro one before and it worked well, it brought video directly into imovie. I've read good things about the canopus one as well. I think pinnacle also makes one called the moviebox maybe, not sure on the name. I think that one is cheaper then these 2.

http://www.videoguys.com/pyroAVlink.html

http://www.firewire-1394.com/canopus-advc-110.htm

3. wiredsc thread starter macrumors member

wiredsc

Thanks for that, the site looks cheap and tacky, but the products look alright. I got a good idea on the price now too, which is what I was after, thanks for your efforts cheers.

4. cubixcrayfish macrumors member

cubixcrayfish

I just ordered my Canopeus- ADVC-55

I heard the moviebox has low quality and drops frames, I will let you know if I like the one i get

CCF

5. freiheit macrumors 6502a

I'm quite happy with my Canopus ADVC-50. Captures beautifully from my VCR to my PowerMac using iMovie. It's a PCI card and comes with a 5-1/4" drive bay adapter (quite unique) so it can also be used as a front-mounted unit if your Mac (or PC) can take drive-bay mounted connectors. It's also less expensive than the -55 or -110.