video capture

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tylerc083, May 3, 2005.

1. tylerc083 macrumors newbie

my mom is about to buy an iMac. However, she is also wanting to convert some old VHS tapes to DVD's. I've got her set and excited at using iMovie and iDVD.

However, i was curious what people would recomend as the best way to capture the tapes onto the computer. i don't believe the iMac video card has the capability for video in, and it can't be upgraded.

so that leaves an external device. most seem to be USB 2.0 and set for windows machines.

any decent inexpensive options for a mac that are easy to use?

thanks in advance.
    tyler

2. hoggdogg macrumors newbie

This article at MacWorld should be help...

3. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Another option is something like Eye TV, which is a TV Tuner/DVR for Macs, but it also allows you to connect a VCR and record the tape that's playing.

Unfortunately, it isn't cheap ($300), but you would be getting the extra TV/DVR benefits out of it as well...

4. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

If you do go with an external device, make sure its Firewire. Firewire is capable of isochronos (sp?) transfer which is needed for video. USB 2.0 may technically be fast enough for it, but I trust my video to Firewire only. USB just wasn't designed for that type of stuff.