Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fatal Darkness

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
I'm one of unlucky owners of a PCI-E PowerMac G5 with the 6600 video card.

I'd like to upgrade the video card and my only option is to pay Apple $900 for the 7800GT as a service part.

My question is: How much of a perfomance gain can I expect if I decide to shell out the cash? $900 is a rediculous amount of money to spend on a video card in which the PC equivalent only sells for $150 or less.

I know someone is going to say "why don't you just upgrade to a Mac Pro," but $900 is still cheaper than spending $5000+ on a Mac Pro + 2.5GB RAM (to match my current setup) + ATI X1900XT + AppleCare + Bluetooth/etc. Video aside, I see no compelling reason to buy a Mac Pro at this point since the performance gains would only be marginal for me and my most important apps (office and adobe) are still ppc only; so I prefer to hold off until at least the next generation.

Thanks

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Just posted this in another thread, but check out strangedogs and see if you can buy a PC card and flash it. I don't know if they have any pci-e ROMs or compatibility charts, but it's worth reading through the threads for $750 IMO.

Fatal Darkness

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
disconap said:
Just posted this in another thread, but check out strangedogs and see if you can buy a PC card and flash it. I don't know if they have any pci-e ROMs or compatibility charts, but it's worth reading through the threads for $750 IMO.

Thanks.

I know about Strangedogs but there's not much recent information on their site. The person who was doing the flashing, "Ruby Tuesday," apparently hasn't been heard from much lately. Anyway I'm sure they're competent people but paying $400 (the price they charge) for some stranger to flash a $150 card in their Garage, completely voiding any warranty, and having no guarantee that it will actually work doesn't sound too appealing. Besides the PC version of the card is no longer available for purchase. Believe me when I tell you I've looked at all available options.

Also, Apple sells the card for $900, not $750. I've never seen the card anywhere for $750, and I've searched thoroughly. The best price I've found is from WeLoveMacs, which has the card listed for $780 but I called and they don't have the card anymore.

Very few resellers can get this card because Apple forbids it. I'm really not sure how WeLoveMacs pulled it off. I have a friend who is an Apple employee and he tried to order the card for me as a repair item was told that item is "prohibited." When he asked what he was supposed to do if a customer brought their PowerMac in for repair for that card, Apple corporate told him he would have to ship it to California! AppleCare however will order the card for me but like I said for $900.

The other option I've considered is seeing if someone who has the card wants to sell their PowerMac, then I could buy it, swap the card with my 6600 and resell it...

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
do some serious research before dealing w/ strangedogs :eek:

Anyways, unless you're going into 3D apps, moving up to a 7800 wont make any significant difference. Yea gui functions like screen redraws and such will be a bit snappier, but all 2D things will stay the same....

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
What do you need the card for?

A low-cost option would be to find the aftermarket ATI 800X retail kit. Mine was $350 brand new...they've gotta be less now. (Or the 850X)

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Two quick notes on Strangedogs:

1) Ruby Tuesday isn't the only person there who does flashing; PM any of the mods or look in the marketplace forum.

2) I wasn't suggesting buying from them, I was suggesting checking and seeing if there is an instruction thread that would help you out. Not that buying from them is bad, but their threads have helped me flash four cards for my and my friend's offices...

Also, Fatal, the $750 was in reference to being able to get the PC card for $150 versus getting the Mac card for $900.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.