Video Card for G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MacinTodd, Feb 3, 2004.

1. MacinTodd macrumors newbie

So I am going to order a dual 2 G5 here in the next week, without fretting about the possibilities of the future updates, and I was wondering. The graphics card that comes with the machine, the ATI Radeon 9600 Pro with 64 mb of DDR ram. I know that card is an EXCELLENT card, but, I was wondering if anyone knows if the ATI Radeon 9800 pro is worth the extra 270?? (edcuational discounts)

Also, do they make the 9800XT pro for the mac yet, with 256 mb of DDR ram?? Thanks, and any other recomendations or advice would be helpful. Thanks!

2. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

The new Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Special Edition (256mb) video card will be coming out soon. I'm pretty sure that has the same specs as the XT. This card is also rumored to be a BTO option for the powermac update hopefully coming soon.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The clock speed of the 256MB 9800 Mac is slower, so its not the same as the XT. However, the Build-to-order 9800 that Apple sells does not have all the features of the retail card, so i suggest getting the 9600 for now, and upgrading later to something better than the 9800...

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I agree with the other posters - get a 9600, save your money, then upgrade a little while later with one of the new cards Apple is relasing. Unless you're doing heavy duty graphics work and gaming, and are very demanding, you won't need the 9800. Just my opinion though....

5. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

connections on retail video cards

Do the retail "Mac edition" radeons have one ADC and one DVI connection? Or is it one DVI, a VGA and an S-video? I'm unclear on the situation.

6. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

Re: connections on retail video cards

ADC and DVI, almost positive