Video card for MDD dual 1.25

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by BIGgui_X_, Sep 24, 2003.

1. BIGgui_X_ macrumors member

I just bought a MDD dual 1.25 G4 with a stock radeon 9000 in it. I'm sure i'll want to change it very soon, but, on ATI website, the only option i have is to get the 9800 pro, who is very expensive. Is there any other option for me, like a Geforce 4 TI or a 9600/9700 card from another powermac ? Is there any good place to find some used stuff for mac (or new or course), like video card or studio display CRT ?
    thanks alors again !

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I got a MDD Dual 1.25 (FW 800) Mac myself and have been able to test the following grfx cards:
    ATi 8500
    ATi 9000 (OEM and retail... the same)
    nVidia GeForce 4 Ti 4600
    ATi 9800

The latter is my current card, and the one that will stay inside the Mac! :)
    In (super) short:
    The GeForce and the Radeon 9800 cost about the same (well, over here anyway) so you can forget about the GeForce 4, as it isn't worth it.
    The Radeon 8500 and 9000 have very similar specs, so not worth the trouble....

If you are able to get some deal on the 9700 OEM (someone willing to sell it??) then I would go for that one.
    The Radeon 9800 Pro is definitely worth the money in my opinion, especially if you really enjoy gaming!

Please read insidemacgames' review of the Radeon 9800.... it might change your mind. ;)

3. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

I can't belive apple still wants $400 for the geforce4TI, thats sicking. I wish mac video cards were in line with pc prices. I understand the smaller selection, but we also have to pay double for whats avalable. I know.........extra development for the mac drivers, firmware, the ADC connector, but i want to complain today :eek:

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

The Radeon 9800 Pro = PC price!

Good for ATi! They got my money!

5. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

you have to understand nvidia doesn't make the cards they just sell the blue prints

apple makes the cards thats why there so expensive