Video Card help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Meshie, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Meshie macrumors newbie

Hello all, I am not famailiar with in innerds of a computer. I think my video card may have gone bad. I have a G5 Mac OS X. Can someone tell me where my video card would be and how to remove it and replace it? :eek:

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

What type of Mac do you have? A G5 is a processor, not a Mac.

3. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

:eek: This is quite possibly the most frightening post I've ever read on a public forum.

4. Meshie thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mean what TYPE?

5. Meshie thread starter macrumors newbie

I can tell you all about each program I run, but know nothing about the actual computer parts. My computer is a G5 Mac. Other than that I have no idea.

6. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Well, there are iMac G5's and Power Mac G5's. An iMac G5 is a big white iPod on steroids with a big screen. A Power Mac G5 is a big metal box with handles and no screen.

:/

If you have an iMac, I can tell you fairly confidently that you won't be replacing the video card. If you have a Power Mac, it's possible, but I'd highly recommend that you have someone do it for you.

If it's an iMac and the video card is truly screwed, then your computer is basically worthless. If it's a Power Mac, well, there's not much difference in the resale value. One repair and it's fixed.

But tell us what leads you to think that the video card is messed up. Also, please clarify what sort of Mac you have, as it makes leagues of difference.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The G5 is a processor, you either have an iMac G5 or a PowerMac G5.

As has already been stated, you won't be able to replace the video card in an iMac G5 because it doesn't have a "card" - the bits that normally make up the card are incorporated into the logic board and are thus inaccessible.

If it's a PowerMac G5 you have then you can access the video card - it's the thing that looks like a card that your monitor plugs into - and replace it with an appropriate Mac-specific video card but seeing as you have a limited technical knowledge of the machine I would recommend you get a certified Apple technician to do the job.

How have you come to the conclusion the video card is dead?

8. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

scary indeed :D