Video Card Help

Discussion in 'Games' started by mgiddy911, Jul 30, 2004.

1. mgiddy911 macrumors member

Jan 27, 2004
    I am thinking of buying some PC parts and building my own machine, I have a question about video issues. The motherboard I am looking at has integrated video, theres a vga port, plus it has an AGP slot. I was wondering if there is a way to use the AGP slot for my videocard i want to order, the 9800 pro, and use that for gaming, but run a monitor out of the integrated video using the onboard vga port, or is it not worth it to use a motherboard with integrated video because i would have to use one or the other, integrated or agp

please post comments and suggestions
    ps the motherboard is packaged wiht lots of other goodies but it is the Soyo K7VME Socket A.

If it won't work out i canspend 13 dollars more on a different bundle..

while im posting this I might as well ask, what do you guys think is a better deal ?
    #1 is an atx case 350 watt pwr supply, keyboard mouse , speakers, for $39.99 plus another one with a Soys KT600 board and XP 2800+ for $139.99
    plus 512MB 3200 RAM for $69.99 a 4x dvd burner for $39.97 a 60 GB hd for $59.97 and a 128MB 9800 se for $149.99 plus a cpu fan for 12.99
    totalling around 512.99

the other option, #2, is for $229.99 same case keyboard pwr supply mouse and speakers plus a cpu fan, with the K7VME board, XP 3000+ 52x CD-ROM and 256MB 2700 RAM , then a 512MB 2700 chip for $59.99, same HD as in #1 for $59.97, and same video card 128MB 9800se for $149.99 totalling around 499.99

#1 has faster RAM, SLowerProcessor
    #2 has More RAM, SLower RAM, Faster Processor...

2. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2003
    New Jersey USA
    I suggest you use the AGP for sure. SOME PC mobos can do dual screens liek a Mac, in which case you will have two screens, one gamefied and 1 crappy.

That said, I read somewhere - I think Toms Hardware that integrated video mobos are not so good for gaming even with a good card in them.

Because of the shared ram issue, and the fact there may be video spillover into the main ram, I would not suggest this.

You can get a dual head Radeon pretty easily. I would go that route for dual displays.

3. Maxx Power macrumors 6502a

Maxx Power

Apr 29, 2003
    Almost ANY video card you spend over 80$ these days would support DUAL display, my old Toshica Laptop had tri display with a S3 chipset. If you are just building a crappy PC, go with they have a deal for something like 50 bucks you get a barebone kit with an ATX case, power supply, 56 x cdrom, that same SOYO motherboard, speakers (crappy), keyboard, mouse...
  4. ArmouredGuitar macrumors member

Jul 16, 2004
    New PC

I just finished my new pc for a really good price:

3.4GHZ HT Extreme/2mb cache (overclocked it to 3.6GHZ/867MHZ FSB)
    Dual Overclocked 4GB ddr/pc-4400/550MHz
    Asus p4p800 motherboard
    76GB 15 000 RPM HDD
    Radeon 9800XT (bought off ebay for $200 new)
    Audiology zs 2 pro
    Cosair external water cooling system
    Alien green case & 500ww ps( came free with case :)
    Green floppy drive
    Green cd-rw
    performence pro 56k moden (i live in country no high speed :(

Everything for this Pc is new and nothing was bought second hand

My totaly cost for this entire PC was around $1500-1600 USD

Which i think is was a steal of a price

The best places to find new and cheap parts are and

Trust me its worth it!
  5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    If you want to build a gaming PC for cheap, follow these rules:

1. Don't build an Intel machine. For the speed, they are almost twice as expensive
    2. Don't get a machine with integrated video
    3. Buy from NewEgg
    4. Buy the fastest processor and motherboard you can (everything else can be upgraded later easily)

NewEgg is the best place to buy PC parts. They are light years ahead of TigerDirect in service and quality of products.

Also, don't buy a cheap motherboard. Stick with a good brand like ASUS with a fast bus speed and RAM. If you come up with a better config, next time list it out like this:
    CPU - $xxx
    Motherboard - $xx
    etc... etc...
    It makes it much easier for people to read and comment on.
  6. ArmouredGuitar macrumors member

Jul 16, 2004
    My pc has one of the best asus mother boards and thee best ram money can buy and about not buying and intel because they are expensive, that is not true you can get a p4 over 3GHz for a good price

7. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Intels are for brand-name computers. If you're assembling your own system, AMD all the way :D
  8. ArmouredGuitar macrumors member

Jul 16, 2004
    Intels are awsome comparing to amd's, except the new 64-bit AMD FX-53 which beats all of intel chips