video card in a beige g3

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Mord, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

im thinking of geting a beige g3 (£100) for music/internet nothing to heavy.

i'll be getiing a cpu upgrade a surround sound card and a video card upgrade

the video card upgrade is whats giving me trouble

the radeon 7000 is good and all but I need 10.3 (xpostfacto) ati says it wont work will it? + the £150 price tag is stupid.

dose anyone know of a flashable pci card?

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

You might want to look at getting a Blue & White PowerMac G3. I know that Video Card will work on there. They will however be a little more expensive.

Depending on how much your going to spend, you may also want to look around for a PowerMac G4. By the time you spend all that money for a CPU upgrade, surround sound card, and video card that could the price of a G4. If you can get a G4 then all you would really have to buy is the surround sound card.

3. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

unfortunatly i am poor :( so my income is £50 a month I still owe for my ipod :( (i'm 15)

a b&w g3 is great and all but the hike in price is inproportionate here in the uk they go for 200-300

and for that I may as well get a sawtooth with agp

i dont need a powerhouse so the £100 beige box is for me

the only trouble is the ghraphics card i need atleast 16 meg

i'll be geting these things in intervals so i'll be geting ram first. then the video then finally the prossessor

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

if your just using it for internet and music why do you need a new video card to begin with.

iJon

5. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

because I am me, i will play old crapy games and i dont want to play at old crapy frame rates also the itunes visualiser can be chopy with crap video cards so if i dident upgrade my mac will piss me off and dont want to be pised off by my ma

i want this because i am a person that likes to tinker overclock and have other hardware fun.

i cannot do the above to the degree that i wish to on a g4 cube or an ibook because i always feel nervous while doing so because of the crampt components

and yes i hear you say i could build a pc and have all that tinkering fun but i also need a computer i will actually use and i would not use a pc if had one windows scares me and if i am going to use linux i might as well use osx.

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think the problem with XPostfacto and video is the other way around on the Beige, it's the built-in that doesn't work, so you'd need the Radeon to use it daily.

7. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

I concur with Counterfit

I believe XPostfacto only works with off board video cards in older macs (and the Panther OS).

8. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I have a beige G3 with a radeon 7000 PCI.
    My machine has a 500 G4, 756 RAM, and Radeon 7000 an all is fine. I do use XPostfacto.
    However, I think you will find Jaguar is a better OS for this machine than Panther. I did install Panther and reverted back, because of the performance hit, which is odd, since Panther performs better on my newer machines.
    The on board video does not work with OS X very well at all on this model. The way to go is a PCI videocard like the Radeon.
    Good luck.

9. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

dose anyone know where i can get a cheap good pci card as the radeon 7000 is £100 which is a bit much thats the cost of the machine in the first place :(

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Wiigii! Someone concurred with me! I can sleep happy tonight! :D

For getting a Radeon cheap, I got mine (7000 just like what you need/want) for around $100 on eBay. Though I think it was stolen and/or flashed at some point in time...

11. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

i saw that url mistake :p

never really go into ebay as I can never find anything that is any good there (in the uk section that is)

12. DrBoar macrumors member

13. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

hector,

I have a rage 128 16mb pci card sitting around. its the original card from my b&w which now has a radeon 7000.

the rage 128 won't be able to use the quartz extreme hack like the 7000 but it will still be far far better than the on board beige video is.

have anything small in value you wanna trade? I would even take a spindle of blank cdr for it.

private msg me and let me know.

14. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

15. tiktokfx macrumors regular

You can use the 64MB Radeon 7000 cards just fine, even flashed.

I flashed a couple genuine ATI Radeon 7000 64MB cards last summer, worked great. Would've been nice to get a Sapphire though, I think they have dual output?

16. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

mmm I got my hands on a 350mhz g4 :)

so thats

£180

for a beige g4 350 mhz

80mhz bus (approx)

524 mb ram

and a 64 meg card with 2x 15" displays (one from an lc 475 and a pc one)

sweet

17. kwikdeth macrumors 6502a

i've flashed about four Sapphire ATI Radeon 7000 PCI cards for my own use and also for some friends. I have several friends who all have beige G3s of varying upgraded condition and they have all been very happy with the Sapphire cards. There are a few very important considerations to keep in mind though when doing this project:
    it MUST be a DDR version card. SDR WILL NOT work.
    A fair amount of Sapphire 32MB cards run at a lower clock rate than the standard mac radeon card, 144mhz vs. 183. This can be seen with problems playing DVD and games. The alternatives are to flash the card with a modified BIOS that tells it to run at 144mhz (As it is, the flashed Mac BIOS tries to make the card run at 183)
    The second alternative is to pay the extra money for a Sapphire 64MB 7000 card. Nice thing is you have twice as much memory for running dual displays, which unfortunately is not something Ive ever been able to test since i don't have a DVI to VGA adapter. I see no reason why it wouldn't work, and I know I ve read of people who it works for.

best of luck, and long live the Beige G3!!!!

18. kwikdeth macrumors 6502a

i forgot to mention, the sapphire 64MB card does run at 183mhz out of the box, that's why it's alternative #2.

19. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

in the store im geting it from the 64 mb one is just a £4 upgrade so it would be silly not to

this is turning out to be a good investment

20. Merlin3D macrumors newbie

Hi, kwikdeth,

I have purchase a Sapphire Radeon 7000 64Mb DDR PCI, but don´t how make flash to ROM Mac. You be help-me with it´s upgrade?

Thanks!!!!

21. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

22. Merlin3D macrumors newbie

23. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat