Video Card Question (PC)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by KittenKrusher, Sep 28, 2005.

1. KittenKrusher macrumors regular

I have this PC sitting here that I used for games when I got (was good for its time). It only has AGP 4x, not 8x... let alone PCI-E. I want to throw one last good video card in to make it last maybe another 6 months to a year, and I was looking at the AGP version of the Radeon 850XT PE. I know this is a pretty damn good card, but would I notice a huge difference say if I built another machine that had PCI-E? I guess im asking if there is a noticable difference between AGP 4x and PCI-X. Im not sure if video cards have reached the point yet where they can max out the bandwidth of AGP.

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

well the 7800 is only PCI-E i believe, don't know the specs of it or how well it performs.

But yes there are cards built solely for PCI-E

3. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

it depends on the rest of your system, what are your specs? the only real reason i would go with pci-e over agp would be so i can future proof my computer as much as possible. but i dont believe you will notice a realwold diffrence between agp and pci-e.. other then benchmarks.

4. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Theres not much diffarence betwenn AGP 4X and 8X.

Maybe about 5% increase.