Video Card Question (PC)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by KittenKrusher, Sep 28, 2005.

1. KittenKrusher macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2005
    I have this PC sitting here that I used for games when I got (was good for its time). It only has AGP 4x, not 8x... let alone PCI-E. I want to throw one last good video card in to make it last maybe another 6 months to a year, and I was looking at the AGP version of the Radeon 850XT PE. I know this is a pretty damn good card, but would I notice a huge difference say if I built another machine that had PCI-E? I guess im asking if there is a noticable difference between AGP 4x and PCI-X. Im not sure if video cards have reached the point yet where they can max out the bandwidth of AGP.
  2. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    well the 7800 is only PCI-E i believe, don't know the specs of it or how well it performs.

But yes there are cards built solely for PCI-E
  3. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2005
    Circumventing the multi-verse...
    it depends on the rest of your system, what are your specs? the only real reason i would go with pci-e over agp would be so i can future proof my computer as much as possible. but i dont believe you will notice a realwold diffrence between agp and pci-e.. other then benchmarks.
  4. combatcolin macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK
    Theres not much diffarence betwenn AGP 4X and 8X.

Maybe about 5% increase.