Video card to drive 3 monitors?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lazyboy922, Feb 14, 2007.

1. lazyboy922 macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

Hi there,

I'm looking for a decent video card for my dual 2.3 G5 that can Drive 3 monitors. I'd probably be hooking up (2) 22" and (1) 20". Any suggestions, or places to look?

Thanks!

Don

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Oh man, don't buy that piece of crap. Buy a real video card. Sorry, I'm not sure which cards are compatible with your Mac (I'm sure someone will come along who is), but those Matrox things are an absolutely last-ditch solution when you have no ability to add a real video card (like a laptop).

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Just get a 2nd video card for the expansion slots you do have.

Of course if you have the PCI-X slots, a PCI video card will be a bit slower than the AGP card.

The PCI-Express version of the PM G5, made things a little easier since you can just add another video card.

4. lazyboy922 thread starter macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

Can you recommend a decent PCI-Express video card? I don't need anything too fancy. I'll probably just be using the third monitor to watch movies or surf the internet....

5. lazyboy922 thread starter macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

So if I just install a second video card into my PCI-x slot, I would be able to drive a 3rd monitor? What if I added another Radeon 9650 in the second slot, would I then be able to have 4 monitors since it has a dual out? I'm pretty confused on the whole video card, PCI-X thing....

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No:
    There are no 3-monitor cards in consumer-land (the Parhelia was an ill-fated attempt, but Windows only). There may be multi monitor cards for workstations fo rmegabucks but not in general commerce.

Yes:
    If you install a second video card, your desktop can extend to as many extra monitors as you have card capabiliy for. So an additional 2-output card would give you 4 montior capacity.
    The card has to be Mac comptaible.

Dont:
    Confuse PCI-Express (PCI-e) and PCI-X they are different things entirely. There are no PCI-X video cards, so you would use a plain PCI video card in a PCI-X G5 tower
    Determine which one your Mac uses and stick to that.

7. lazyboy922 thread starter macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

Thanks! That was the info I needed...