Video card upgrade on iMac (intel)?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DrStrangelove, Apr 21, 2006.

1. DrStrangelove macrumors 6502

Mar 26, 2006
    I bought the iMac with the ATI Radeon X1600 graphics with 128MB GDDR3 memory.

I did so because they didn't have one with 256MB on board. Now I'm kinda wishing I had more.

Can this still be upgraded at the apple store or is it a no-go?
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    It's soldered onto the motherboard. It isn't going to happen.
  3. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 26, 2006
    Once again my ability to wait a week for what I want costs me in the end.

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    Well, if you really want that extra VRAM you could sell your iMac for a slight loss and then buy a new one with 256MB...this is why I am such a fan of towers - pop out old video card, insert new one.
  5. powerbookje macrumors member

Jun 1, 2003
    I was in the same situation 3 weeks ago, I could buy a 20" imac and wait for 2 days, or buy a built to order and wait 2 weeks... my girlfriend told me to wait and I have to say I'm glad I did, realy enjoying this thing with 2 gig of ram and the 256 Vram option :)

but to answer your question; it is not possible... In the past when I regretted my purchase I just ebayed it and got a built to order.
  6. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 26, 2006
    I upgraded the RAM myself. Not a big chore and much cheaper to buy from crucial. But, yeah, the video ram-- I'm kicking myself a bit.

The guy at the store told me, "If you're not going to use apature or some other high end graphics manipulation software you'll be fine." So I went for it.

I hadn't thought about games, however. Now when I play WoW the graphics are awesome. But when I set them to their highest setting- I still get the awesome graphics, but every once in a while there seems to be some stop-motion action due to stressing the resource of the card.

Oh well.
  7. disconap macrumors 68000

Oct 29, 2005
    Portland, OR