Video card with TV out?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jap4n, Feb 3, 2004.

1. jap4n macrumors member

Aug 10, 2003
    wellington, nz
    I'm having trouble finding information on video cards for mac. It seems that the only two are ATI and Nvidia..

Neither of which have TV out?!

The thing is, that my PC has a Nvidia Geforce 4 MX - that allows me to have a line out to my TV - so i can watch a DVD/Divx on the TV, while on the net/homework.

Is this sort of thing possible on a mac..? So my monitor displays a desktop while the tv is full screen video (think this is called 'overlays'?)...

If so - i'll go all mac baby!
  2. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    I had TV out on my iBook, but I know what you mean about TV out on the desktops. I think you'll need to buy a "retail" video card, rather than an Apple-supplied one. And that might mean importing one in from the US.
  3. Dippo macrumors 65816

Sep 27, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Well in Windows it is called extended display.

I have an ATI Radeon 9600XT that outputs the video to my tv as a second desktop.

One thing to be careful of is that when the second display is active, a lot of hardware acceleration is not longer used (I don't know why) This means that watching a DVD takes about 60%-80% instead of just 20% of my CPU.

*This might just be a windows thing, I don't really know
  4. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

Sep 23, 2003
    London, England
    Pinnacle MiroVideo DC30

I use a "Pinnacle MiroVideo DC30" video capture card. You should be able to get one on ebay $100US. Then you need the Squared 5 Driver (free)
    This only works in 10.2/10.3 & the card only fits G3/G4 towers, but it will put any QT movie you play out to your TV through the video out of the DC30. If you use the"VLC Media Player" you can watch DVD through your TV. It also gives you real time video playback to a TV monitor with Final cut pro (not express) if you use the squared 5 LOSSLESS 4:2:2 codec, i think that this codec is also better quallity than DV for a slightly bigger file size.