Video Cards for three digital monitors on a MDD G4?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cb474, Oct 10, 2006.

1. cb474 macrumors newbie

Oct 10, 2006
    I have a MDD G4 with a Radeon 9000 AGP card, which I'm currently running two 15 inch digital lcd monitors on, both with DVI connections. I use this computer mainly for video editing and watching movies, so I'm not too concerned about games.

I want to get a third monitor, at 24 inch Benq with 1920 x 1200 resolution, for watching movies. I'd like to drive the 24 inch monitor with a nVidia card, because it allows aspect ratio scaling (I understand the ATI cards are not very versatile in this respect).

So what cards could I get that would work in a MDD? In the end I'd like to have 3 DVI outputs (or ADC is okay, because I can just use an adapter). But I want digital outputs.

Since nVidia cards for the mac only come in AGP, I assume I have to replace my original ATI 9000 and get a separate card for the PCI slot?

Also, I'm concerned about the "reduced blanking interval" that many of the ATI cards seem to use to drive 1920x1200 resolution. This is supposed to degrade video quality, but even the ATI 9600 Pro says it does this.

Lastly, should I worry about the effect of the 33Mhz PCI bus being slow to run monitors off of?

Okay, that's it. Any advice on how to set this up would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    So what you need is a graphics card that you can put in a pci 33 mhz slot, and this card has to have digital output... That is going to be hard to find. If it is out there, it will probably be a server graphicscard. Therefore your best bet would be a xServe graphicscard.
  3. cb474 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 10, 2006
    Thanks. Dreadnought.

What about nVidia cards for the AGP slot on the MDD G4? What nVidia cards have two digital outputs, can run two monitors independently, and would work in the AGP slot of the MDD? Also I'd like a card with at least one dual-link DVI connector.