video chat on aMSN

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NatPro, Nov 6, 2006.

1. NatPro macrumors member

NatPro

THIS IS URGENT!!!!

im trying to let a friend (who uses microsoft (what an idiot)) view my webcam, i have a macbook and am using the iSight.
    it wont work when i ask them to view it... what do i have to do to let people view it?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, use yahoo/skype or sightspeed

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Since it is urgent, I thought I'd wait until later in the morning to respond. ;)

I have found that, for reasons I've never figured out, I can have aMSN work for MSN video chatting with one friend, and not Mercury Messenger, and for another friend, without changing any setting on my computer or network, Mercury works and aMSN does not. Interestingly, usually one or the other will work for me without opening any firewall ports.

The only explanation I can think of is that they do not handle MSN's fallback mechanisms (for if the firewall settings is interfering) in the same way.

So you might try Mercury....

4. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Hopefully one day there will be a MSN version with webcam chat integrated in it so I can talk to my PC friends. For now Skype works :D

5. NatPro thread starter macrumors member

NatPro

skype works fine... but its getting the other person to get skype..... :cool:
    and it wasnt really urgent, i just wanted the thing to work :p