Video Chat with England?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by miloblithe, Nov 3, 2005.

1. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I realize that I should be able to figure this out myself, but I'm having trouble. I was wondering what iChat compatable video-chatting is possible for someone who uses a PC in England. My mom (Mac, USA) wants to be able to video chat with my uncle/grandmother (PC, London). What would my uncle need (other than my cousin's mac, which doesn't seem very practical)?

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Both AIM and MSN Messenger will work with iChat. AIM is the better video client, since MSN has a limited video window.

3. devman macrumors 65816

devman

Really? MSN Messenger will do video chat with iChat? Can you provide a link - that would be very handy.

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

Link to the video capabilities discussion of MSN Messenger. As far as details of setting it up, I think you just need the ID of the Messenger user (or iChat account) to hook up. I don't use it personally, but my brother does.

5. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

iChat only works to chat with Madonna in England. :D

6. erickg macrumors 6502

I always thought the only other chat program that played nice with iChat is AIM, but this would be real news.

7. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

no video... but my girlfriend and i have been using skype instead of the telephone lately...

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

AIM is definitely the best choice, since the video is better. MSN works, but as I said, the video is limited. They're both free, so I'd go with AIM.

Or buy him a mini.

9. erickg macrumors 6502

Yeah, Skype is the best. I'm in Vietnam at the moment and it lets me talk to my wife, friends and relatives with much better quality than regular phone-lines! Even better than calling from a landline in Sweden to another landline in Sweden! Crystal clear. :)