Video Chat

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacBacon, May 16, 2005.

1. MacBacon macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I want to set up video chat with family overseas. They have Win XP, and I'm on Tiger - how do we set this up? What chat programs do we both need to video conference?

Thanks

2. MacBacon thread starter macrumors newbie

OK google is my friend...

Has anyone had experience with this setup?

"Option 1 iChat AV/AIM: Videoconference with millions on Mac or PC

Unfortunately, Mac version of MSN Messenger does not support video/audio chat function. So, we are going to use AOL Instant Messenger (AIM).

1. Go buy a Mac and iSight, and then you are ready. (Create .Mac account if necessary. The trial account continues woking after the trial period is expired as far as iChat is concerned.) Use iChat. iChat is fully compatible to AIM. Read the following article if you need. This is on-line tutorial(Japanese).

2. If you are a Windows user, upgrade to Windows XP first. Second, go to www.aim.com and get a screen name (equivalent to a log-in name) . Third, download and install the lastest English version 5.9 (not Japanese version, Japanese version sucks!) of AIM. Fourth, buy a webcam and set it up, and now you are ready. As is written on Apple's website,

iChat AV 2.1 supports videoconferencing with the new AOL Instant Messenger 5.5 for Windows, giving you immediate access to the millions of people in both the Mac and PC communities. iChat AV 2.1 requires Mac OS X v10.3 or later.
    So now, I'm waiting for your request of text/audio/video instant messages. My AIM screen name is takaaki_k@mac.com.

Do not use firewall when you enjoy video/auidio chatting"

3. rugonnaeatthat macrumors regular

No experience mac to PC, but I am often video chatting with my brother overseas and since they use the same network, why wouldn't it be the same?

Only one way to tell!

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So is there any way to do video IM with MSN Messenger users when I have a Mac?

My mum barely knows how to get on the internet, let alone sign up to AOL and install a program. :eek:

If she could just use Messenger that's already included on her computer, it would be perfect for her, as it's easier to set up, I'd think.

5. rugonnaeatthat macrumors regular

there is a way to communicate to MSN through Jabber... I think it was in a macbytes link a while back... maybe google it. I don't imagine the video would work though. I've given up on my Mum and I even got her to buy an iBook! She is scared of technology!!!!

6. lordmac macrumors regular

YA i do video and audio chatting all the time with friend who are running aim on windows xp. It works perfectly, its really quite a cool experience to be able to see and hear someone 1000's of miles away. Also in the summer a new aim version is coming out will support multiple audio chats at the same time ala ichat in tiger.
    :)

7. 123walter macrumors member

123walter

Chat within lan

I dont know if chat is what I need. I have a home network with two windows machines that have webcams. I also have a MBP in the garage/office. I would like to be able to see my wife and talk and vice versa, without having to dial into a yahoo or IM situation. What do you guys reccomend for this> My router wireless is a dlink which is also the name of the net as well as workgroup. I have enabled sharing etc. I tried chat program but it doesnt appear to "see" the wired computers in the house.(Windoze machines are both hardwired to router) Suggestions?

8. iMav macrumors 6502

IMHO, Skype is the best inter-platform video chat program around. (mature clients for OS X, Linux, and the nasty)

I've found it to be, by far, the best solution for easily chatting with friends/family on other OS platforms.

9. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Another vote for Skype.

10. palmqui1 macrumors newbie

Definitely use Skype. It works, every time, without fail, no matter if you're connecting Mac-Mac, Mac-PC, PC-PC.

When you download it, you'll be walked through setting up a user name and its very simple. Have the other party download Skype as well, set up a user name, and I promise it'll be the easiest chat you'll find.

11. 123walter macrumors member

123walter

Skype ..it is..I guess

Thanx for the prompt replies fellas. The only thing I was wondering about is this. I was aware of skype more as a telephony-type thing. I just feel like most of the yahoo-googoo things were overkill. I dont like chatting or the chat-thing really.Let me make sure I am doing the simplest thing, I may be overloooking obvious. I was gonna use bonjour chat applet. I have a simple home wireless net. I merely wanna see my wife and talk to her or exchange files, when she is only 200-300 feet away! I know..but Im a gadgety person. We have two computers hardwired to the dlink wirelss router. I am using the Macbook pro. I dont see any need to send messages out into the internet..aoround the world..(exaggerating) and back to the garage!Skype sounds better than wahoo. So ya see we are both on the same network, same workgroup..this is the only way? I can "see" her hardrive etc(on Finder) and she can see mine on explorer. BUt I can use skype anyway..even if it is more than I need for intrahome communication. Thanx again.