Video Chats with a Mac and a PC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by instantturtle, Dec 3, 2003.

1. instantturtle macrumors newbie

I had a question/advise about setting up a video conference/chat (with a/v) between my Mac and my girlfriend's PC.

If I plan on picking up an iSight and use iChat AV, what should I recommend my girlfriend use for her PC? I was going to pick up a Logitech WebCam 3000 but then I don't know which PC software to use that would be compatible with iChat AV. Any recommendations on software compatible with iChat? Should I even use iChat AV?

Thanks!!

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

The Logitech WebCam 3000 will be fine. For software you can use

Yahoo Messenger (no Audio)
    iVisit (poor quality until you pay the $30 registration fee)
    ohphoneX(Mac)+Netmeeting(PC)

3. jermsmingy macrumors regular

audio and video with ichat av wont' work with a pc

you can text chat, but you cannot use audio and video with ichat av and a pc. I think this will change by january. Yahoo messenger sucks. I tried it and I couldn't even keep a conversation going, it was that bad. I tried iVisit for audio (I think it was ivisit) and it was also horrible. I have not seen anything that is free that works as good as ichat av between 2 macs.

I suspect that apple will come out with a solution within the next 6 months to resolve this issue. But for now the best thing to do, would to get your girlfriend to sell her computer on ebay and buy a mac. There are very few instances where a pc can do something a mac won't. The mac is generally much easier to use and your girlfriend won't have to worry about viruses.

Otherwise, I would say wait, cause I haven't seen anything near as good as ichat.