Video chatting w/ a PC person?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Schtibbie, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Schtibbie macrumors 6502

So, I have the Macbook with the iSight camera built in (and iChat software of course) and I'd like to be able to video-chat (with voice even? or no?) with my parents and my wife's parents. They have PCs and it's a lost cause for them to get Macs.

SO, would it work for us to use iChat and them to use Yahoo or AIM, or Skype? It is not at ALL clear to me what the proper combination is for is to have our Mac and them to have their PC and for us to see each other. How about if I use Yahoo Messenger for Mac OS, and they use Yahoo Messenger for PC? Does iSight work this way?

Too many combinations!!! Anyone suffered through this trial and error already?

2. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

3. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I second that. Skype works quite well for PC/Mac video chats. :)

4. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Another Skype vote. It works nearly flawlessly, and video is similar to iChat's.

6. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

skype x4

But, if you want to use aim they need to use aim (not triton) and set it up than it works fine one way and to way. If you are willing hto spend some cash, though there are those two among many other free option Trillian Pro is very nice.

7. amd4me macrumors 6502

Here is my question.
    Will they need to use skype as well?

8. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

yes.

9. shiunn macrumors 6502

skype vs ichat

let me butt into this thread
    i'm just browsing the tiger ichat, and it boasts the h.264 codec. how is that compared to skype's video? i might get it wrong, but i'm just testing out my built in isight, and ichat's video seems better than skype, and less laggy.

can pc users reap the benefit of h.264 video conferencing?

10. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

iChat is better...IMO

11. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

I dont think iChat is better. I think it has better quality video, IF both party's have a really nice high speed connection.

In most cases I find Skype's video "performs" better. It certainly works better for my purposes. I vid chat with my wife when she travels, she will be in a hotel, in a starbucks, or wherever... generally the wifi offered is average speed, maybe 1.5Mbp/s DSL at best, then you need to share it with others at the venue.

For some time we would try iChat first, and if the quality was not there, we would sign into Skype and go that way instead.

Like I said, def not as 'clear' looking, but much smoother over those dodgey lines :)

12. shiunn macrumors 6502

i get you cybix.
    so, there's no h264 quality-enabled app for pc users then?

another of my problem is i tend to chat with my parents. they live in SE asia, and i'm in UK. and the skype video quality is appalling, if it does not drop the connection first! audio alone is okay-ish. any idea why this is?

13. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Well I am yet another person who will hands down say Skype. Through the last few days I have tried video chatting with different pc users through different software and found skype to be the easiest to use and the best at actually working! lol!

I tried aMSN and video chat and had nothing but errors etc...

Yet today I had a video chat on skype extremely easily and my aunt in nottingham (400 miles away) was able to video chat back even though she has the most basic IT skills.

Skype = 10/10!

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin