VIDEO: Cheney Loudly Booed During First Pitch

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Apr 11, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

2. aquajet macrumors 68020

So why all the jeers? I think his choice of trousers with that Nationals jacket had something to do with it. Somebody needs to be fired.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It's a shame people can't separate politics from a game. Whether you agree with his views and/or actions or not, you should be cheering because it's the start of a new baseball season. Come on people, "Play Ball!"

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I totally disagree. Cheney's presence isn't about the game, it's about his celebrity status and being a celebrity means taking the good with the bad. It's pretty stupid to get some fat white guy to throw the ball anyway, why not someone who is truly deserving of the attention?

6. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Who would you suggest? ;)

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I agree that he isn't necessary. I can't think of any good reason why anyone has to throw out the first pitch (tradition I guess?). But this is my exact point. He wasn't why people purchased tickets, so why even express your views about him? You go to a game to see the game. Just enjoy baseball and ignore him.

8. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

is jessica lynch still doing the celebrity circuit? or has her status as a war hero outlived the administration's use?

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Sorry, don't have a link, but there was a kid who scored a whole bunch of points in a basketball game awhile back. He was mentally challenged but the coach and the team supported him all the way.

An Iraqi vet?

A Katrina survivor?

A wheelchair Olympian participant?

The list is endless and in my mind, nothing makes a crowd feel better than seeing the underdog get his day in the sun. There are a lot of ordinary people in this country who have done something above and beyond the call of duty. Why waste that exposure on a politician?

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

No, that is the point, by throwing the first pitch, he is a part of the game and we whether we like it or not, probably spent a few hundred thousand dollars so that he could throw that stupid ball.

Something tells me that if the guy was a popular politician and the crowd cheered him on, you wouldn't have any problems.

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I do want the crowd to cheer, but it has nothing to do with him being popular or not. I'm not really sure where you are going with that statement, but I think you have the wrong idea. I want the fans to cheer for the start of baseball. I could care less who throws out the first pitch or even if it was totally skipped. IMO, anyone and everyone who was booing was taking away from the fact that America's pastime was about to start because they were more concerned with someone's "celebrity status", political views, or whatever, than the game itself.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Someone who's approval rating isn't lower than the number of heart attacks they've had

(Thank you David Letterman for that :D)

13. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

lol, good stuff :p

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Then he shouldn't have been there at all. Cheney p***es off a lot of people. If it were about baseball, then he shouldn't have been there in the first place. But it wasn't- it was about Dick Cheney throwing the ball and was intentionally made to be that way! People are sick of it and let their voices be heard. Ever think that nobody there wanted to see a politician near their baseball game? Ever think they just want to see baseball players?

16. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I couldn't agree with you more.

I agree that people are sick of it, but is a baseball game really the right place to let your voice be heard on political matters?

I said before that no one goes to the game to see the ceremonial first pitch. They go for the game.

This is what I thought I've been conveying. I've said it before, just ignore him and cheer for the game and players.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Nope, he gets a jeer because of that whole free speech thing. Not the time and place? Probably. But he got there because of who he is, he has to take the bad if he wants to reap the benefits. And with everything he has done wrong or helped make worse, I say give him everything he deserves.

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Come on, baseball isn't a "game" it's big business. If it was a little league game, then it would be a different story. The reason Cheney was out there was to try and revive his sagging image by engaging in the most American of sports. If he's going to put himself out there like that for political gain, then he needs to be able to deal with it.

I think your anger should be directed at whoever allowed him to make the first pitch. Sports shouldn't be politicized, or at least anymore than they already are.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Actually, my understanding is that Cheney was there so that Bush didn't have to be. Tradition dictates that the POTUS throw out the first pitch of the season for the DC team -- this tradition goes back quite a ways to when there was a previous DC team (the Senators IIRC).

Bush didn't feel like taking on the boos himself so he sent Cheney to 'take one for the team'.

Bush threw out a first pitch somewhere else a few days ago, and inoculated himself against much of the booing by walking to the plate with some injured American soldiers and the father of a dead soldier, IIRC. Seems like Cheney would have been wise to cravenly use the military to cover his own unpopularity too. For some reason he didn't.

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm surprised Cheney managed to throw out the first pitch without hitting the catcher in the face. ;)

21. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

For the players and owners it is. But is it really business for the fans?

I think he was asked because it was in Washington. I'm not sure his image had anything to do with it. Maybe I'm just too naive.

Maybe that is where my anger is directed but since I don't know how asked him I have no individual to actually place it on.

22. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

You're suggesting people who are disabled, disadvantaged or had a part in an unnececessary war.

I can't say I see what makes Cheney so different. ;)

23. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

What's so great about the clip is the way the broadcaster continues to talk over the boos, and the way he continues to praise the VP despite the boos. You would think that the boos would be part of the news story ... but as far as the anchor was concerned, they didn't even seem to exist!

As Herbert Marcuse said, welcome to a "total mobilization of all media for the defense of established reality."

24. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Reminds me of introductions at a NASCAR race. If they ever stopped boo'ing at Jeff Gordon, he wouldn't feel at home. It's all a part of sports I guess.