Video clips from a DVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ThatGirl, Jan 26, 2007.

1. ThatGirl macrumors regular

Can someone please tell me how I can take small clips from video that I have recorded onto a DVD? I can't get the recording to open in iMovie.

I am using a MacBook, with OS X 10.4.8

Thanks

2. -DH macrumors 65816

You have two basic options: software or hardware.

Software: use a program like MPEG Streamclip, Handbrake, DVDxDV or others to rip and convert the DVD's content into an editable format.

Hardware: connect a DVD player to a qualified DV device (camcorder, VTR or converter), then connect the DV device to your Mac via Firewire. If you have FCE or FCP, set device control to "Non-Controllable Device" and use capture now. iMovie should have a similar feature.

-DH

3. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, very much! I will give your suggestions a try.

TG

4. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

I tried accessing the DVD content with MPEG Streamclip but the program wouldn't recognize the file. I used MacTheRipper instead and ripped the files to my hard drive.

I'm not sure what to do with the files now, to get to a point where I can make clips. Neither iMovie nor Streamclip would recognize the files, so I'm assuming I have missed an important step.

When you have time, I would really appreciate your advice.

Thank you!

5. slosh macrumors newbie

now that you've used mactheriper to rip the dvd, you can drag the ripped .vob files (in the video_ts folder) into mpegstreamclip. that'll let you set in and out points for your clips, and then you can export them to a variety of formats.

it takes some experimenting to get the hang of it, but once you do, it's pretty easy. i usually set in and out points for the clip, trim it, and then save a copy of the clipped .vob file, so that i've got the clip in the best format i can get it in (not re-recompressed); then i export it to whatever i need it for. though usually for teaching purposes, i just replay the .vob clips back in vlc player.

6. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

I did try that but I got an error message saying I needed to buy MPEG-2 Playback from Apple.

Does anyone have an opinion about the program Cinematize? I tried the demo and it seemed to make it pretty easy to take pieces from video files. It's not cheap, though.

Thanks for your help! :)

7. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Just use HandBrake to rip the DVD. Very easy.

8. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you!

I gave Handbrake a try, and I agree it was very easy. Now I guess I should use MPEG Streamclip to make the short clip? I will give it a try.

Thank you, very much! :)

Hey! I think I've got it! Thank you all, very much, for your help.

9. ThatGirl thread starter macrumors regular

I was able to use Handbrake easily, but once I uploaded the Quicktime movies, they wouldn't play online. Is there a setting that I just didn't understand that needed to be adjusted?

Thank you.

10. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

What is the website for the video? Every video should be playable, try clicking in iMovie, share, than to quicktime, and choose "for web" or LAN or something like that...