Video Codecs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Whotheheck, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Whotheheck macrumors member

I migrated over from the dark PC side to mac a few months ago and I have yet to find video codecs so I can play a lot of my old video clips. What is a good application that I can use that will let me play them? Or is there a place where I can get the codecs at? Thanks!

2. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    you can get a divx codec from divx.com and an xvid one from http://www.insaneness.com/xvid.html

or you can use MPlayer OS X or VLC.

3. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Quicktime will play most of them. But for divx and xvid, you can download the components from the official websites.

RECOMMENDATION 1: Download 3ivx for quicktime. It is similar to divx but it offers much higher playing quality, and it handles divx better that the original divx pluging does.
    RECOMMENDATION 2: Download VLC Player it will play all available formats for the mac. http://www.videolan.org/

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No choice is necessary. Download and install the DivX Quicktime codec. The DivX and 3ivx codecs work together perfectly. The 3ivx codec alone cannot play the audio of AVI files with MP3 audio. Without the DivX codec, these AVI files must be "flattened" with DivX Doctor II.

5. Whotheheck thread starter macrumors member

I had already downloaded the divx codec and tried the others now but they STILL don't work! :(

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

What codec are your old clips? It would help to know.

7. Whotheheck thread starter macrumors member