Video Codecs

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by hyperpasta, Oct 28, 2006.

1. hyperpasta macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

So I'm compressing a little iMovie clip for use in a Keynote presentation. But there's a catch: I'm presenting from a slot-loading blue iMac! While it is running Panther and QuickTime 7, it's in no way capable of playing H.264 video.

I need a complete list of settings to enter in Keynote's "Share to QuickTime" dialog that will make a movie clip that is A) very good quality and B) easily playable at standard 640x480 resolution on the old iMac. What encoder? What bitrate? What other settings? Most of this is jargon to me.

Any video wizards out there who care to help?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Is there anyway you can take the iMac in your sig into work with you? :D

Do you have access to the iMac so you can do some tests?

What is the movie of that you are compressing? If it doesn't have very much fast motion then one of the easiest things to do is drop the framerate. Keeping it full sized though is gonna be the tricky part.

Lethal

3. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Make a DVD out of it and play it through the DVD player :)

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I don't think iMacs that old have combo drives.

Lethal

5. hyperpasta thread starter macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

Haha, work... I forgot to mention that I'm in high school. So no, taking in my G5 isn't really gonna fly.

However, I do have an entire week to do tests. So, if you have multiple ideas, then just say all of them. I'm doing my first batch of tests tomorrow.

If all else fails, I'll put them on a DVD: while the iMac can't play them, we do have a standalone DVD player hooked to the TV. However, I would really prefer a video embedded in the presentation, so I don't have to go through the whole switching ordeal, which our TV makes as complicated as possible.

So what combination(s) of settings should I try?

6. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Can you try Sorensen 3 video codec and IMA 4:1 audio? I think these were one of the defaults for QT on my old copy of cleaner. Might work. Or not... And, as Lethal suggests, drop the framerate.

Good luck.

7. Apple2Mac macrumors regular

Apple2Mac

Use Sorenson 15 Fps, I would do 320x240 ate 100kbs then have QT double the frame size or play full screen. For audio IMA is ok but QDesign is better

8. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I would try something like Motion-Jpeg. It will produce a large file, but it doesn't require much to run MJPG videos.