Video comparing iPad 2 optimized games on iPad and iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JonDownin, Mar 11, 2011.

1. macrumors member

I shot a quick video comparing the performance of the iPad vs iPad 2 with iPad 2 "optimized" games. I thought a few of you might be interested in this.

Let me know what you think.

Oh, and yay iPad 2! :D

2. macrumors 6502

Maybe I didn't catch this, but I don't recall any mention. Did you upgrade your iPad1 to IOS 4.3? If not, it really wouldn't be a fair comparison.

3. thread starter macrumors member

Absolutely. I forgot to explicitly say that, but I did mention that I did a restore from the original iPad backup. Both running 4.3.

4. macrumors 6502

Then this is quite an interesting comparison. Opened my eyes that video resolution (both have identical) is not the same as rendering, and that the iPad2 has improvements in that department.

5. macrumors 65816

Thanks for the great video! Dead space looks significantly better and infinity blade looks impressive as always.

6. macrumors regular

I wonder if the memory difference (512 vs 256) has any affect on loading times since as each new game was loaded the previous game(s) are still in the "buffer" and hasn't been completely shut down?

7. macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

Excellent video. Thanks!

8. macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Want to know what's most important? None of these games are really using the 2nd core in any significant way.

9. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

It's possible, but I think the iPad intelligently dumps the memory if it needs it to load new apps. There is no doubt that the doubling of the RAM is significant in terms of performance though.

10. DS3
    macrumors 6502a

Good video, thanks. For real racing 2 you really needed to start a race though, everyone on ipad 1 is complaining its really jaggy graphics while the ipad 2 one has anti aliasing and looks great.

11. thread starter macrumors member

I hadn't played it before so I didn't know how to quickly get into a race, but the aliasing was noticeable even in the selection screen.

12. macrumors 65816

Thanks for the video. :)

13. macrumors regular

couldnt you have directly linked me to your video instead of your blog/site?

14. thread starter macrumors member

Yes.