Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Prove it. Oh and all Siri does is say I found this for you and you have to read it. What if you are in a car and cant read your tiny little screen while driving? Google reads your answer to you and is much quicker and more accurate.

Already proved it yesterday: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15180275#post15180275

If you can't read that big bold text by taking a quick glance at your screen, you shouldn't be driving.

----------

Which is what Siri does.

Exactly. That's my point. I said it's nothing new. Siri does other stuff Google Now can't like open apps, move around calendar events, etc.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
Already proved it yesterday: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15180275#post15180275

If you can't read that big bold text by taking a quick glance at your screen, you shouldn't be driving.

----------

Exactly. That's my point. I said it's nothing new. Siri does other stuff Google Now can't like open apps, move around calendar events, etc.

That doesn't prove anything. You could have just typed that into Google :rolleyes: I want to see video proof of you asking Siri that and her responding.

Last edited:

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
Im confused. All you have to do is put "Google" at the beginning of your Siri queries and you'll get the EXACT same answers as Google Now. All Google Now does is search Google for you. Nothing new here.

Ooooh, I here a mad apple fanboy! But then again, I am on MacRumors, tying away on my MacBook Pro and listening to music from my ipad while i load more music to my ipod and texting on my GALAXY S2. You mad?

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Google voice search is part of the evolution of google search. Voice in and Voice out. Specific answers to questions without having to sift through a mountain of data. That's the point.

Trust me, It is much a different experience to have a program quickly respond to your questions using a natural voice over just doing a regular web search like you are used to. These next few years are going to be very interesting to watch as it develops.

It's possible, but Siri already does Google Searches so what's the point?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
That's not a voice comparison. That is typing in google compared to talking to Siri.

Where in that article did it say he typed in those questions? And if he typed them in, why would he mention that of the 1600 questions he asked, 800 of them were in a quite room while the other 800 were on the bust streets?

Yeah im sure he "typed" them in because it really matters if he were on a busy street or in a quite room.:rolleyes:

Did you guys even READ the article? You cant be that dense.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
That doesn't prove anything. You could have just typed that into Google :rolleyes: I want to see video proof of you asking Siri that and her responding.

That's fine but if I tell Siri to search that, I'll get the same results. Why do I need a video to show that Siri can search google when we all know she can?

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Are you actually having a laugh? You really think it's appropriate to take your eyes off the road and read your phone while you're driving?

What a stupid thing to say. I hope you don't have a driving licence.

I wasn't saying you should be using your phone while driving. You cannot sit here and tell me you've never looked at your phone when you're sitting at a light. I didn't mean while you were driving.

Stop putting words into my mouth.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Where in that article did it say he typed in those questions? And if he typed them in, why would he mention that of the 1600 questions he asked, 800 of them were in a quite room while the other 800 were on the bust streets?

Yeah im sure he "typed" them in because it really matters if he were on a busy street or in a quite room.:rolleyes:

Did you guys even READ the article? You cant be that dense.

No. Did YOU read the article.

Yep, unfair test.

"Google understands 100% of the questions (not surprisingly, since they are keyed in)"

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I wasn't saying you should be using your phone while driving. You cannot sit here and tell me you've never looked at your phone when you're sitting at a light. I didn't mean while you were driving.

Stop putting words into my mouth.

Perhaps if you were more specific people wouldn't assume things.

Course I look at things when I'm at a light or in a queue of traffic. :)

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
YES, and i posted what he said how he took the test. I guess you didnt.

It is definitely comparing typed Google searches to searches using Siri. There's a few bits of evidence in the article: -

1. "Google understands 100% of the questions (not surprisingly, since they are keyed in)" - keyed in, aka typed in.

2. "Siri comprehends 83% of queries in noisy conditions, 89% in a quiet room" - there is no mention of Google's performance in noisy/quiet conditions (because it's typed).

3. "'In order to become a viable mobile search alternative,' Munster writes, 'Siri must match or surpass Google's accuracy of B+ and move from a grade D to a B or higher.'" - Google voice search can't possibly be a more viable mobile search alternative yet because it's not even officially released. It therefore must be talking about something that's already out; typed Google searches.

I thought the same at first, that it was talking about Google voice search, but it's not. It's comparing the tried and true typed Google search to a Siri search.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida

Here's a video of Siri searching Google;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn04UXkOESE

Of course that's not really an informational question but it just shows that Siri searches Google. Had he said something like "Google How old is Will Smith?" it would have opened Google and showed his age and birthday JUST like Google Now would.

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Wrong, google voice search would specifically answer your question verbally using a near-human voice.

Siri opens a web browser and then places a web search for you returning a listing of google results that you have to look at.

There is a difference.

Here's a video of Siri searching Google;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn04UXkOESE

Of course that's not really an informational question but it just shows that Siri searches Google. Had he said something like "Google How old is Will Smith?" it would have opened Google and showed his age and birthday JUST like Google Now would.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
It is definitely comparing typed Google searches to searches using Siri. There's a few bits of evidence in the article: -

1. "Google understands 100% of the questions (not surprisingly, since they are keyed in)" - keyed in, aka typed in.

2. "Siri comprehends 83% of queries in noisy conditions, 89% in a quiet room" - there is no mention of Google's performance in noisy/quiet conditions (because it's typed).

3. "'In order to become a viable mobile search alternative,' Munster writes, 'Siri must match or surpass Google's accuracy of B+ and move from a grade D to a B or higher.'" - Google voice search can't possibly be a more viable mobile search alternative yet because it's not even officially released. It therefore must be talking about something that's already out; typed Google searches.

I thought the same at first, that it was talking about Google voice search, but it's not. It's comparing the tried and true typed Google search to a Siri search.

I dont think it is clear he typed them in. Sure he says they were keyed in but then with he responses of how Siri needs to step it up and the fact he would give grades by doing it that way imo are lame.

So i emailed him and asked him. Im waiting for a response.

In the posted youtube videos, Google clearly is much better than Siri.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Wrong, google voice search would specifically answer your question verbally using a near-human voice.

Siri opens a web browser and then places a web search for you returning a listing of google results.

There is a difference.

How am I wrong? I told you it would open Google...

Here's what happens in order:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341429910.392457.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341429919.057909.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341429925.666196.jpg

Google now does the same thing and shows the same data. It just gets read to you. I don't expect Siri to read it to me because I'm being brought to the browser. Who cares if it doesn't read it to me? I'm more than capable.

Last edited:

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Because it is not just like google voice search would, the new google voice search would respond to your question verbally.

How am I wrong? I told you it would open Google...

Google now does the same thing and shows the same data. It just gets read to you. I don't expect Siri to read it to me because I'm being brought to the browser. He cares if it doesn't read it to me? I'm more than capable.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I dont think it is clear he typed them in. Sure he says they were keyed in but then with he responses of how Siri needs to step it up and the fact he would give grades by doing it that way imo are lame.

So i emailed him and asked him. Im waiting for a response.

In the posted youtube videos, Google clearly is much better than Siri.

I agree. Google has the best voice recognition by far. The only thing is that it doesn't seem as intelligent as Siri - yet.

You can't say things like "remind me to get milk when I leave" or "am I working tomorrow?" as far as I know. They're just a couple of examples of many.

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
You can just read it yourself. What's the big deal?

I can also just open safari and type in my query myself. Whats the big deal with opening siri and saying "google blah blah"?

This is an advancement of Google search and is just Google continuing to evolve. Whether you think it is a big deal or not is subjective.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.