Video compositing and production.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by absolutmp5, Feb 10, 2005.

1. absolutmp5 macrumors regular

well i had switched to mac about a year ago with a 1ghz ti book. Just sold that recently to start gathering funds to purchase a new desktop with. I love macs and the operating system is the most functional and stable os i have encountered, But i have started getting into final cut pro and more pro apps. I have also been doing alot of legal backups of my dvd collection into divx. I was wondering for my needs of final cut, motion, photoshop and divx encoding which machine should i use for pro video and encoding. mac or pc. for mac i was considering the dp 1.8 or 2.5 or 3ghz whenever thats coming in the next few months or a high end pc.

2. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

If you are looking to use final cut and motion, you have to use a mac. I work with video for a living, and have just invested in a duel 2.5 g5 after years of working on a 1st gen 450 g4 powermac. Its like night and day. My opinion is biased as I have had the luck to have worked on macs since day one, but for video, the mac is stable as hell! If you really want to get into composting, you will also need to get After Effects, which flys on the g5 duels. Just my opinion though.

3. filmmaker2002 macrumors regular

Nearly every production house I've worked in uses Macs. And recently, with the introduction of Motion, it is exclusively Mac. There's a story on Apple's website about how all the Super Bowl promos, interviews, and media were done on G5's with FCP. Definitely go with a Mac...I'd never use a Windows machine for video.