Video Conf. on MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacGuy88, Apr 7, 2006.

1. MacGuy88 macrumors member

I know for a fact that the iSight built into my MBP works.
    It works when video-conferencing with other computers on my network and it works flawlessly in iMovie (and of course video preview in iChat). So I don't think it is an iSight issue.

However, when I try to start/accept a video chat, I cannot connect with anyone. I have Comcast Cable Internet and checking on Speakeasy.com I range from 2,000 kbps to 6,000 kbps, depending on the time of day.

I really need this to work because its a key reason I got my dad to buy this MBP for his work. Thanks.

P.S. Yes I do have bandwidth limit set to 'none'.

2. MacGuy88 thread starter macrumors member

And wait, theres more!

Also just realized that not even the audio conferencing works. Starting to get really ticked. I have version 3.1.4 too. AAAAHHHH.

3. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

have you tried plugging your MBP directly into your cable/dsl modem to eliminate the router as the problem? If it works then you know you need to open ports on your router.

4. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

That is probably the problem. Here is the port numbers needed: http://www.mvldesign.com/video_conference_tutorial.html#fw

6. MacGuy88 thread starter macrumors member

7. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Just a thought...
    Are you sure you have a public IP address? Connect your computer directly to your modem, and if your IP under System Preferences>Network starts with 172.xx... then it means you only have a private IP and conferencing, etc. won't work.

irmongoose

8. MacGuy88 thread starter macrumors member

I have connected my laptop to the cable modem and it works fine. I have also opened ports on my linksys router (Wireless-G w/ SRX200) and it still doesnt work. My IP address starts with 66.177.... (when I'm hardwired to the cable modem).

While I was in the router setup page I checked to see if the firewall was off. It was on. So I turned it off and got all excited about this being no bog issue and IT STILL wont work.

Im out of ideas.

9. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

So it works when you are hard wired. Then have you done NAT portforwarding. In some systems you need to allow it in the firewall part and the NAT.

10. MacGuy88 thread starter macrumors member

Haha. I can't wait to try it out..... but i have no clue what that is. At least we're narrowing it down though..

11. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

What type of router do you have? We should be able to walk you through it.

12. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Once logged in to the router go to "applications & gaming" tab enter these ports: 5060, 5190, 5220, 5222, 5353, 5678, and 16384 through 16403, which i got from http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93208
    for the single ports you should only have to enter start port number. For the 1634-16403 enter the range. Set the IP to the internal IP of your computer. The app name does not matter so just enter ichat, enable them. And for protocal us both.

13. MacGuy88 thread starter macrumors member

[​IMG]

Done.

My iChat screen name is Cousinbradferd. Nobody is on right now that I can test with, if you dont mind can you IM me and I'll try it out? Thanks.

14. MacGuy88 thread starter macrumors member

Got it to work.

Okay guys, got it to work and I'm going to explain what it was in case anyone ever has this issue..

System Preferences > Network > Show: AirPort > TCP/IP Tab
    Right down the IP Address: 192.168.1.___

FOR LINKSYS (only?) Next go to your router's home page (192.168.1.1) and go to the Application & Gaming tab and type in the following "port ranges":

5060, 5190, 5220, 5222, 5353, 5678, and 16384 through 16403. Change all the protocal for everything to BOTH. In the IP Address field, change the last three digits to the last three digits that you wrote down earlier. And of couse, enable them all. You can name then anything you want, I named mine iChat. Click Save Changes.

It should work.

HOWEVER. This worked for me.. for a while. I can use a one-way video chat, but it still wont let me use a 2-way video chat or audio chat. I could still use help if anyone knows anything. Thanks.