Video Conferencing

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Craigy, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Craigy macrumors 6502

Hi,

Does enyone have experience in mac/mac and mac/pc video conferencing or calls and could you suggest some software.

Cheer My Deearsz!

2. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I'd have a look at ISPQ VideoChat - it's a dual platform video conferencing program, and apparently works very well - as long as you have a broadband connection.

3. yamadataro macrumors 6502

Video conferencing has been the major issue forever for me!
    I've been researching that field for a couple of years now. Still can't find the ultimate solution for Mac.

The problem is that most of my clients are on Windows. Also, I can't force them to install whatever the sofwtare I choose. And many of my major corporation clients are behind the corporate router/firewall which prevents data from coming in/out (depending on the software).

Yeah, so nothing worked for me except for the ones that comes with Windows as default like Win Messenger and NetMeeting. I'm a heavy Mac user, but I use a Vaio just for video confing with my clients.

If your client or whoever is willing to install software you choose, I think you've got a number of good ones. iSPQ is nice, but I hate seeing the whole community before me since I only need to communicate with MY people.

There's also this software called iVisit which, I think, is still in beta. It has simpler interface which I like better than iSPQ.

My personal conclusion: Mac is not good for video confing. We Mac users don't have many web cam choices either.

Oh, and IP phone.

- NetPhone: very simple/good voice over IP. You need to have the IP address of you and your receiver. Good interface. If you or your friend is behind the rounter, you'll some problems.
    http://www.haxial.com/

- Mac2Phone: PC-to-PC and PC-to-Phone. Very bad interface. Seems to work OK though. Go and search the web to find more info.

EDIT: NetPhone is spelled NetFone. And it's compatible with PC/OS9/OSX