Video Conferencing

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Craigy, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Craigy macrumors 6502

Jan 14, 2003
    New Zealand

Does enyone have experience in mac/mac and mac/pc video conferencing or calls and could you suggest some software.

Cheer My Deearsz!
  2. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

Oct 30, 2001
    London, UK
    I'd have a look at ISPQ VideoChat - it's a dual platform video conferencing program, and apparently works very well - as long as you have a broadband connection.
  3. yamadataro macrumors 6502

Video conferencing has been the major issue forever for me!
    I've been researching that field for a couple of years now. Still can't find the ultimate solution for Mac.

The problem is that most of my clients are on Windows. Also, I can't force them to install whatever the sofwtare I choose. And many of my major corporation clients are behind the corporate router/firewall which prevents data from coming in/out (depending on the software).

Yeah, so nothing worked for me except for the ones that comes with Windows as default like Win Messenger and NetMeeting. I'm a heavy Mac user, but I use a Vaio just for video confing with my clients.

If your client or whoever is willing to install software you choose, I think you've got a number of good ones. iSPQ is nice, but I hate seeing the whole community before me since I only need to communicate with MY people.

There's also this software called iVisit which, I think, is still in beta. It has simpler interface which I like better than iSPQ.

My personal conclusion: Mac is not good for video confing. We Mac users don't have many web cam choices either.

Oh, and IP phone.

- NetPhone: very simple/good voice over IP. You need to have the IP address of you and your receiver. Good interface. If you or your friend is behind the rounter, you'll some problems.

- Mac2Phone: PC-to-PC and PC-to-Phone. Very bad interface. Seems to work OK though. Go and search the web to find more info.

EDIT: NetPhone is spelled NetFone. And it's compatible with PC/OS9/OSX