Video conversion from analog.

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by iShater, Jan 22, 2003.

1. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Greetings folks, I have a friend that got interested in Macs after messing around with his Dell to make a video clip out of a wedding video tape. We are currently looking at what machine might work for him.

My question is regarding peripherals that do that analog-to-digital conversion for video. He has a VHS camcorder and tons of tapes that he wants to convert and finally make into DVDs.

I read a review about Dazzle's DV Bridge, but at $299 it is a little steep. Any suggestions for other hardware solutions that might be cheaper yet can work well with iMovie?

If we can figure this out, we might have a new Mac guy ... which I can use to convince my wife to let me get my own Mac too! :D

Thanks!

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

The Dazzle is one of the cheaper options. Other options are the Formac Studio and the Canopus something.

Another way to go would be to borrow a miniDV camera from someone. miniDV cameras can usually serve as a bridge as well.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

ftoak is right, if you can borrow ad miniDV camera that would be the cheapest option. You should be able to find the Dazzle Hollywood DV Bridge for $200-$250 on line. If you pay more than $250 for it yer gettin' screwed.

Lethal

4. iShater thread starter macrumors 604

iShater

I have a miniDV camera myself. Would I have to record form the source on to a minDV tape and then play that and capture the output on the Mac? or do the cameras input/output at the same time as a bridge? is option 1 bad for the camera?

Thanks!

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Most DV cameras can be used as a bridge and that won't hurt the camera.

Lethal

6. iShater thread starter macrumors 604

iShater

Sweet, thank you very much!

One last question, are iMove and iDVD MP aware?

7. BB1985 macrumors newbie

Analogue to DV

This sounds great I've been waiting for a way to convert some VHS, how do I use my DV camcorder to bridge to imovie.

8. iShater thread starter macrumors 604

iShater

Re: Analogue to DV

I am guessing that a DV camcorder would pass the input signal it is getting from your analog source (e.g. VCR) and pass it through the firewire port as a digital signal.

However, I am not sure if this works with all DV cameras. I don't have my Mac or a firewire-equipped PC so I can't verify.

Anybody out there who has done this successfully?

9. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-iShater

If you mean multiprocessor, the answer is damn right!

10. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

A bit of a resurrected thread but I do search. I want to shove my VHS onto my mac so all I need is a digiCam with and a VCR?

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

not all digicams will work as such. but many/most will... not sure if there's a specific tech spec that would let you know without just trying it.

12. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

analogue i/o is what yr looking for, but beware. i bought a sharp viewcam dv from B&H last year specifically to use as a minidv editing deck and analogue bridge. the specs said anologue i/o, but i found out that the cam won't let you do anologue in and DV out at the same time. that reminds me, i have to start a thread about B&H...

13. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-mmmdreg

Sony or Panasonic are the best for this. Personally, in the consumner market, I'd say Sony.