Video Conversion Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 925AS, Apr 18, 2006.

1. 925AS macrumors member

Ok, so my friend sent me some files that he wanted me to put on a webpage for him using iWeb. The files are .mpg but they do not play on Quicktime just VLC. And the error i recieve is "it is not a file that QuickTime understands (-2048)."

Does anyone know a freeware program that will allow me to convert the files so I can play them using QT?

2. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

ffmpegX will do the job. It's not freeware but you can use it without paying.

3. 925AS thread starter macrumors member

I downloaded ffmpegX, but I wasnt able to convert it. I dragged the file but when i hit convert it says its done but it doesnt save it anywhere and when I try to save it, it does nothing.

Am I just being retarded? or is there something else I have to do.

4. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

First of all, the latest version of VLC has some file conversion capabilities built-in, so you might be able to use VLC to transcode the file into something Quicktime understands. You can also use VLC to determine what codecs the video is actually using by using VLC's get info. Is a little strange that Quicktime can't handle a .mpg file, so something fishy is going on there.

If you post what VLC says it's using to playback the video, then it might be a little easier to solve.

5. 925AS thread starter macrumors member

When I check it under info in VLC it just gives the the video file name with .mpg as its code.