Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
They wanted to get it out of beta before DVDs and Blue-rays become obsolete. ;)
[doublepost=1482857209][/doublepost]
So far I have not found any disk that MakeMKV couldn't decrypt.
Goldfinger didn't work for me, RipIt didn't manage it either.

Larry The L

Suspended
Jun 9, 2016
Still that terrible icon huh?

I like the icon. Besides, who cares what the icon looks like. I'm more interested in how the program works. But that is just me.
[doublepost=1482868647][/doublepost]
Now they need to start working on their documentation, because that's still in early alpha stage from the looks of it.

I read and understood the documentation without any difficulty.
[doublepost=1482868696][/doublepost]
Siri will break that.
I love Siri. It works just fine for me.

sr55

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
0.9.9, 0.10.0 etc were not beta's. They are final public releases. Beta releases were tagged as such when we released them.

We've simply switched to a more natural version number scheme now.

Seems everyone has taken the comment completely out of context. :(

The project has merly been around for over a decade now.

To be clear, it's not been 13 years since 0.9.9. There have been many major releases over this time. Atleast one every year.

Starting with the latest release, going back in time, So read from the bottom up.

1.0.0 Dec 24, 2016
-- Switch to a mostly SemVer approach. Major, Minor, Path
0.10.5 Feb 11, 2016
0.10.3 Jan 22, 2016
0.10.2 June 9, 2015
0.10.1 Mar 8, 2015
0.10.1 Beta 2 Feb 22, 2015
0.10.1 Beta 1 Feb 08, 2015
0.10.0 Nov 22, 2014
0.10.0 RC2 Nov 9, 2014
0.10.0 RC1 Sep 25, 2014
0.10.0 Beta 4 Sep 13, 2014
0.10.0 Beta 3 Sep 5, 2014
0.10.0 Beta 2 Aug 25, 2014
0.10.0 Beta 1 Aug 18, 2014
-- From this point forward, following a more SemVer style approach. x.y.z where z becomes minor bug fix releases. y is major.
-- Change in project version to add patch releases during the year. 0.10 was a major release with 5 patch releases. No Minor feature updates.
0.9.9 May 18, 2013
0.9.9 RC2 May 13, 2013
0.9.9 Beta May 6, 2013
0.9.8 July 18 2012
0.9.7 Skipped Release
0.9.6 Feb 28, 2012
0.9.5 Jan 3, 2011
0.9.4 Nov 23, 2009
0.9.3 Nov 23, 2008
0.9.2 Feb 19, 2008
0.9.1 Oct 8, 2007
0.9.0 Aug 19, 2007
- x.y.z where z is a major release. The project did not do "patch" Releases at this point.

Last edited:

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
My issue is I could never figure out how to rip movies with subtitles...not always on subtitles, but movies like Avatar. I used MakeMKV to rip it, then handbrake to convert it. I end up with an amazing quality rip, but I can't understand portions of the movie because there are no subtitles for when the na'vi are speaking. I've reached out to people online, but no one seems to be able to help

I use handbrake under MacOS Sierra and it works great. El Capitan and Sierra removes libdvdcss from your Mac but it can be reinstalled.

Subs can be a complicated issue. Luckily, MakeMKV now does a good job of ripping subs from Blu Ray. When you get to handbrake, the issue is that M4V files essentially only allow one subtitle track, so if you are including forced subs, that shoots your wad.

I have taken to placing my movies in the MKV container, which unfortunately makes them not playable directly in Apple devices, but it allows me to have forced subs and english both in the same file. I use Plex to watch my videos, so with the Plex app on the AppleTV it works great.

BTW, the new release of Handbrake has tons of new presets that seem to work exceptionally well. What caused most people to struggle with it was the complexity (power) of the app confused people. Plus most people can't really tell the difference between a 3GB file and a 30GB file when they actually watch it. I know everyone thinks they are the one who can tell, but tests of A/B/X show most people have no clue. Now people can just select the preset and they should get appropriate quality and size.

Reactions: Flash SWT

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Handbrake is encoding right now on my Mac mini (Late 2012) 2.6GHz i7.

makemkv plus Handbrake are an unbeatably powerful and versatile combination. Every blu-ray I buy ends up in our Plex video library. The h.265 encoder is remarkable.

Reactions: Flash SWT

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
I read and understood the documentation without any difficulty.

I'm not taking about the quality. I'm talking about the quantity.

It's lacking documentation for a lot of areas of the product.

The implied dig at my reading comprehension ability is much appreciated ... thanks!

Farond

Suspended
Apr 29, 2015
Makemkv should do this or anydvd
Anydvd is pretty useful for DVD movie and Blu-ray, but it's a pity that the website of AnyDVD developer Slysoft was down early this year. Since then, I switched to macx dvd ripper, it's free and works great to transfer DVDs (e.g. Zootopia DVD) to my new iPhone.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Subs can be a complicated issue. Luckily, MakeMKV now does a good job of ripping subs from Blu Ray. When you get to handbrake, the issue is that M4V files essentially only allow one subtitle track, so if you are including forced subs, that shoots your wad.

I have taken to placing my movies in the MKV container, which unfortunately makes them not playable directly in Apple devices, but it allows me to have forced subs and english both in the same file. I use Plex to watch my videos, so with the Plex app on the AppleTV it works great.

BTW, the new release of Handbrake has tons of new presets that seem to work exceptionally well. What caused most people to struggle with it was the complexity (power) of the app confused people. Plus most people can't really tell the difference between a 3GB file and a 30GB file when they actually watch it. I know everyone thinks they are the one who can tell, but tests of A/B/X show most people have no clue. Now people can just select the preset and they should get appropriate quality and size.

I prefer soft subs. It does take time to sync them up though.
[doublepost=1482909401][/doublepost]
So if one upgrades from Yosemite to Sierra than Handbrake 1.0 should work fine?

I'm using handbrake .10.5 X64 from February and it works fine. I haven't tried the one they released today.

As far as upgrading to Sierra, my preference would have been remaining at OS X 10.9.5 (it was very stable) but different software program updates required me to upgrade my system. My general advice is to stick with the operating system you have if it is running well and you don't need the changes.

MacGekko

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
I prefer soft subs. It does take time to sync them up though.
[doublepost=1482909401][/doublepost]

I'm using handbrake .10.5 X64 from February and it works fine. I haven't tried the one they released today.

As far as upgrading to Sierra, my preference would have been remaining at OS X 10.9.5 (it was very stable) but different software program updates required me to upgrade my system. My general advice is to stick with the operating system you have if it is running well and you don't need the changes.

Yes, I usually wait a long time before upgrading the OS, sometimes I skip a few cycles, probably a coincidence but my 2008 Macbook Pro bit the dust a short time after upgrading from Snow Leopard to Mavericks, it was the Macbook Pro that had the hard drive or gpu failure problem, can't remember what the exact issue was, anyway some of the things like split screen and picture in picture seem worthwile although I don't see the need to utilize Siri on a laptop.

But I do have a 2015 Macbook Pro, are there stories of people having problems with newer Macbooks when they upgrade to Sierra? Generally I never need any OS changes but some of the nuances of a new OS become intriguing.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
So what did they finally do that made them comfortable that this is no longer a beta app?

I'm curious about that myself. What was the tipping point where the developers of Handbrake got together and said to themselves, maybe after 13 years of keeping Handbrake in the software equivalent of our parents basement, the time has come for our baby to embrace adulthood and stand on its own. Maybe the developers could shed some light on that pivotal moment.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I'm curious about that myself. What was the tipping point where the developers of Handbrake got together and said to themselves, maybe after 13 years of keeping Handbrake in the software equivalent of our parents basement, the time has come for our baby to embrace adulthood and stand on its own. Maybe the developers could shed some light on that pivotal moment.

Read post # 62. It hasn't always been in beta. There have been beta versions of upcoming releases though. Much like macOS hasn't always been in beta, but has had beta versions.

All that changed in Handbrake's new number system, is a switch to a new method of noting major and minor releases. In short, they changed the method of measurement. Comparable to choosing between inches and centimeters.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Brilliant piece of software that I've been using for years on my macs

Reactions: Miat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.