Video drivers in 10.4.1

Discussion in 'macOS' started by surfsofa, May 24, 2005.

1. surfsofa macrumors member

Feb 20, 2004
    Marlow, UK
    The upgrade to 10.4.1 was the first one I've ever had a problem with. Since upgrading I'm experiencing what I can only describe as interference on the video output to my 20" ACD. This shows up whenever the video card is having to work hard - playing a DVD, video-rich graphics like the RSS screensaver, for example. If you've ever seen the kind of interference a TV suffers when too close to a powerful radar (like an airport one), you'll know what I mean - basically small horizontal white tears scattered across the screen.

I never had this problem with any release prior to 10.4.1, so I'm guessing there's a problem with the new video drivers. Are there any known solutions to this? Maybe the older drivers are archived somewhere? Any help would be appreciated. Most of the time it's not an issue, but when it happens it looks dreadful and detracts from that luscious Aqua GUI enormously.

Video card is ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 (Powerbook 15" 1Ghz).
  2. point665 macrumors regular

Jun 27, 2004
    Is the problem like if putting a cell phone next to your monitor and having it be an open call? Cause my CRT has been doing that since Tiger, I thought it was breaking fast though (its 2 months old, brand new basically)...