video editing advice

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Rivix, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

Hello. I have been given the task of creating a picture slide show with sound and all the trimmings for a 50th anniversary.

I would love to use iMovie for this, but I have a problem... no Mac :(
    I’m sorry, I don't have one yet. I’m waiting until I need one for my visual communication design class. I really want one though!

Is their any application I can get that works similar to iMovie on Windows?

Thanks for the help :D

2. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

This is probably the from forum to ask about windows software

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

win xp comes with windows movie maker. i can't imagine it's as good as imovie, but i haven't used it.

check verstiontracker for picture to movie creation apps...

4. Keebler macrumors 68030

try versiontracker

as well. run a search on photoslideshows or similar.

bear one thing in mind: the presentation style will not mean as much as the editing of the photos...remove red eye and major blemishes.

just seeing the photos with some good music is seriously 80% of a slideshow's meaning. the rest is just dressing.

people will cry no matter what so don't kill yourself looking for the best software. simply transitions like fade in fade outs or panning/scanning such as ken burns is all you need. don't use alot of different types.

best of luck,
    keebler

5. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

6. Rivix thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rivix

I'm trying a trial version of ProShow Gold, and i'll give it a shot. Now the task of scanning every... single... picture...

7. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

If you have a decent digital camera you should set up some lighting and snap pics of your photos. You will pick up less dust, fingerprint and scratch damage that way.

Trust me, it takes forever to to touch up 100 plus photos.

8. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

for around $100, pinicale has some not too bad editing softwere for PC. You can get it @ Best Buy or so

9. NZEditer macrumors newbie

Hello i have used pinnacle and i found it very bad. I would rather use windows movie maker for it is more user freindly then pinnacle its free and if your only doing a slide show why buy software for pc when your gonna get a mac? :confused:

10. Lebowski macrumors 6502

im sorry, but shooting prints is not a good idea. clean the prints with a soft microfiber cloth, clean the scanner, and do batch scans.

and touching up 100 plus photos is nothing.

I do over 300 a day for a major newspaper. its just getting into a groove.

11. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

Usually when you are doing a slide show for weddings, graduations, etc. you will get photos that are in pretty bad shape. I agree, fresh clean prints should just be scanned, but 25 year old photos that have been sitting in a shoebox for years, bent, creased, scratched, and handed way to often will usually come out better if you shoot them.