Video editing and file transfer from Win

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Jojo76, Jan 30, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am a newb to the iPad but experienced geek and have a couple questions. I have some homemade videos on my iPad that I need to edit. Specifically I need to add a YouTube intro and outro to them so I can upload to YouTube. Very simple edits on my Win machine. Issue: the videos I need to add to my iPad videos are .avi, .mp4, etc and are on my win 7 box. I'm not sure how to transfer them to the iPad. I can def see them through home sharing via iTunes and Dropbox but it seems I need them to physically be on the iPad, correct.

Question: what is a good video editor for this job and how do I get my two videos (intro and outro) onto the iPad so I can make these edits. Yes, I do know I can just do this on my laptop but I'd love to do it on the iPad if possible.

Thanks,
    Jo

2. macrumors 6502a

Yes, they need to be accessible from your Photos app, though not necessarily in the folder "Camera Roll". BUT, they also need to be in an iDevice-friendly format. That .avi, for instance, probably isn't going to work. A little test might be to see if you can even import those videos into iTunes. You can quite easily re-encode these other formats (using HandBrake, etc.) if so inclined.

Assuming proper format, there are a number of ways to get your videos to your iDevice; a few being:

1. By syncing with iTunes. I would not recommend this, though, as the syncing process may be compressing the video. They resize photos without clearly telling you what they're doing, so I don't trust them with videos.

2. Dropbox, or similar. With Dropbox, you have to mark the video as a "favorite" so that it will get downloaded to your device, then, in a second step you can transfer it to your camera roll.

3. Photo transfer app (I use PhotoSync). This can transfer photos/video between computer and iDevice, or between iDevices via WiFi or Bluetooth.

I've only used iMovie on my iPad (Mini), and the only other video editing app I know of is Pinnacle (2.5x price).

Regards,
    Tom