Video Editing Device?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ivnj, Mar 30, 2007.

1. ivnj macrumors 65816

2. DarkGashX macrumors member

DarkGashX

Im with you on that one, been looking in the UK also with no luck. All XP/2000 for the capture cards I have looked at.

3. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

It looks like a good deal. I'd probably buy one soon (especially at that price) if one was available for the Mac. The drivers probably wouldn't be too hard for the company to update for Mac OS X--it would be a good business opportunity for them to do so though.

4. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Here's a thread on C-Net that might give you some pointers.

5. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

They have one at Costco around the same price. There are plenty of cheap ones available. But they are not for mac so whart drivers would you use.

Thanks,
    ivnj

6. Bakey macrumors 6502

Why don't you guys take a look at something like the Canopus ADVC55 [rinky dink] -- £130.00 for the UK, probably the same in US$!

Pretty good make, although not quite as good as they once were -- and this particular unit is FW not USB2!!!

HTH ;)

7. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

Price is not the issue. But none say MAC on the box. It has to say MAC on the box.

Thanks,
    ivnj

8. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Actually, the Canopus conversion to DV is excellent. This is one of the great bargains out there that anybody importing NTSC or PAL should have. Amazing results for very little money.

9. dcv macrumors G3

Not entirely sure what you're trying to do, but if it's something like VHS to DVD conversion then check out the Elgato EyeTV 200 or 250 devices, both of which allow you to capture an analogue source.

The EyeTV 250 is a current product; the 200 model is discontinued but you can find them on eBay.

10. DarkGashX macrumors member

DarkGashX

You mean this baby: http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetv250

Very nice! It is too bad they don't make another model like that with a Digital (Freeview as known in the UK) tuner included aswell or they would have a winner on their hands.

11. dcv macrumors G3

There are a couple of Freeview versions available - the EyeTV DTT and the EyeTV 410, which also has a slot for a TopUpTV card. These models are for digital TV only and won't do the analogue capture. I've got the 200 and 410 boxes.

12. portent macrumors 6502a

Apple sells the Canopus ADVC110 Digital Video Converter for US$270 on its online Store. It's a regular analog -> FireWire box, no drivers should be necessary.

Probably more than you were interested in spending, though, but I do strongly recommend it. FireWire is how your Mac was meant to import and export video; it's supported by iMovie and everything else natively.

13. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

I understand that. But most of the boxes are USB 2.0 and Firewire is hard to find.

Thanks,
    ivnj

14. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

I am also not sure what you are trying to do. Is it that your camera does not have firewire out?

15. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, I think it's called Sony TRV-052. No USB or Firewire. So I need something. But my Pinnacle Moviebox USB is only PC compadible not MAC.

Thanks,
    ivnj

16. DarkGashX macrumors member

DarkGashX

I'm guessing he wants a Video Capture Card so he can plug in componsite. Is that right?

17. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

Well yes but I have a Mini so I can't use a card. Mini has no available PCI slot. So it has to be external. But I can't find one that says MAC.

Thanks,
    ivnj

18. akadmon macrumors 68010

If all you're trying to do is digitally capture video from an old analog camera, then you can can do this by passing the signal through a DV camera. That's what I do. Hook up your analog camera to a DV camera and the DV camera to you mini, set the DV camera to VTR mode and press play on the analog camera. Your movie will now be available for capture in iMovie/FCE/FCP, etc.

19. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

20. DarkGashX macrumors member

DarkGashX

Ok im going to save you here, NEVER.TOUCH.DAZZLE. I have one, and hate it to bits! If it's like the windows version, you can only use it with the crappy Pinaccle software.

Anyway, for what you want to do, this should work: http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetv250&PHPSESSID=d5109fa2d1578b29c0e09e3da699b708.

It's only USB though, I think.

21. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes well that's a little expensive. But any way if it is USB2.0 and not Firewire then I can't use Imovie right?

Thanks,
    ivnj

22. akadmon macrumors 68010

No card necessary. In the long run, if you plan on doing a lot of editing of your home movies, you're better off just buying a new DV camcorder. DV is pretty much standard these days and a decent Sony DV can be had for a reasonable price.

23. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

You Need To Buy A Canopus ADVC110 Analog To DV FireWire Converter Ivan

There is no such model as a TRV-052 on the Sony Site. There is a TRV52 that's an ancient 10 year old video8 camcorder form 1997. Is that your model?
    That or the Canopus ADVC 110 is what you need.
    If price is really not the issue the Canopus ADVC110 is what you should buy.
    Only brand you should consider. Superior codec engineering IN HOUSE.
    The 250 does not transcode to DV — only to MPEG2. The 200 FW model does but it'll be hard to find and not as good a codec as the Canopus ADVC110.
    He said money is no object so I agree with Portent 200%.
    Not Canopus. Forget USB2 and the horse it rode in on. We are not a USB2 team here. We are on the FireWire Team. :eek: :)
    No such model number at Sony. Only TRV52 ten year old video8 model from 1997. Records very low 270 line NON Hi8 analog to 8mm video cassettes.
    NO NOT THE 250. It only transcodes to MPEG2 not to DV. Buy Canopus ADVC110
    That's righ Ivan. Forget USB2. You want a FireWire Analog to DV converter. This means you want a Canopus ADVC110.
    You can buy a low priced DV camcorder $200-$300 for about the same as the Canopus ADVC110 that has the capability to transcode what you shot with the video8 camera as well. Do your research to determine which brand's models do it. What happend to "price is not the issue"?
    END OF THREAD. :p

24. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

Price is an issue. Those are too expensive. It is probably TRV52. It is Hi-8 from 1996 or so. But I need to convert all my Hi-8 Tapes.

Thanks,
    ivnj

25. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Where Are You?

No it's not Hi8 it's plain old 8 for 1997. I have downloaded the manual. Buy a DV camcorder that also transcodes for $189. Where are you? You can add your location in your Control Panel so we know where you are. By knowing where you are we can help you find the right camera. Are you in Russia or Georgia or Florida?

NTSC or PAL?