Video Editing Industry Standard?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Frisco, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

I'm just curious. This is an area I know very little about. After using iMovie it peaked my curiousity what is the industry standard in Video Editing--Final Cut Pro or Avid Xpress? What's your preference?

Thanks!

2. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

the only reason anyone would ever want to use Avid is: if they had to for work, they are on windows (why not adobe premiere??), or they already own avid. smart people use macs; smart people use final cut pro...

reality

3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Whilst Final cut is gaining ground in some areas, the main work is still done on the Avis system, with small pockets of Media 100 holding out.

Quite a lot of TV stuff is now being done on FCP, and a lot of off-line editing is being carried over to FCP, but the main donkey work is still done with Avid.

Like the Audio Post industry, film editors are very resistant to change, and they are hard to convince, however, ProTools is now becoming a "standard" in most new Post facilities, and I have a feeling FCP attractive pricing and hardware will contunie to win friends, it is a much beter system than Avid, which is a stabdard only by virtue of it being first in the marketplace.

4. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

I think that there are more Avids out there than any other non linear edit system. But this doesn’t make it the best. I never got on with Avid, I find FCP much easier to use. There are quite a few other systems available, such as media 100 & adobe premier. At work I use a Quantel Editbox, this is a similar machine to the Quantel Henry used to make the ipod ads. Discreet make similar high-end editing/compositing systems such as Smoke / Flame / Inferno. There is still also quite a lot of Tape to Tape editing in TV stations. In some situation such as News it is still considered to be faster to edit on tape than on a computer.

If you are interested in doing more editing, you should look at Final Cut Express, most of the features of FCP but a lot cheaper.

5. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

Okay thanks for your responses. Maybe I'll pick up Final Cut Express and a few good books on it.

6. Cybos macrumors newbie

formats

Hi
    I'm looking at getting a piece of software, ithere adobe premiere6.5, or final cut pro express2. the collage that i'm going to is using adobe premiere 5 and is final cut express2 compactable with that. Can any one tell what software is compactable with what. If any one could advise me it would be helpful.
    Thanx

7. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

The current ver of Adobe Premier is Adobe Premier Pro v1.5, it only work on windows xp, & final cut is only mac. So if you your choice is down to what machine you have. if you want to work on projects at home & at collage you should have the same ver of adobe premier on both setups, i think v5 was only os9. If you save a job off in v5 & take it into v6 you proberbly won't be able to take it back into 5. If your media is DV you will be able to use it in both setups,but if collage is using a different encoder ie motion jpeg you will need final cut pro as i think FC express only works with DV. I think the only bit of editing software currently available for both platform is avid express, though i prefer Final Cut Pro. :D

8. Cybos macrumors newbie

I have a Imac, with a 700MZ G4, with 756RAM and 40GB. Do u know anywhere where u can get adobe premiere 5.

9. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Ebay. It was discontinued about a year ago and I don't know if you can still find it new--although I really haven't looked. Final Cut Express is a lot better anyway, as evidenced by the death of Premiere for Mac.

10. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

I traded my copy of premier 5.5 in for the free copy of Final Cut Express! :D

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

As others have said Avid Media and Film Composers are still top dogs in terms of editing, and FCP is making in-roads and providing a legit choice for a growing number of people and post houses.

Part of Avid still being top dog is that they are established and companies have a firm (and usually large) investment in Avid gear, but there are still things that Avid does better than FCP. Typically this is "underneath the hood stuff"/back end stuff where Avid excels, although FCP is making improvements w/each new release.

For a variety of reasons it's a nifty time to be in the world of video/film post/production right now and the "battle" between Avid and FCP is certainly one of the main attractions<sp?>

Lethal