Video Editing Machine

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jcspcc, Oct 19, 2006.

1. jcspcc macrumors newbie

Oct 19, 2006
    I can't believe I am saying this, but I think I am ready to jump from PC to Mac. I use my machine primarily for video editing (I enjoy an occasional video game as well). I am looking to spend 2-3k on a new machine and wonder what model and specs I should look for to get the most bang for my buck. I think I want to put my money into the system itself and worry about monitor upgrades later (Assuming the monitors I use now for my pc will work with Mac). One requirement for the system is multiple monitor support, obviosuly I will also need healthy HD capacity and firewire. Also, is now a time to get in or are their new models on the near horizon that I should wait for? All input is greatly appreciated.
  2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

May 3, 2005
    Washington, DC
    The 24" iMac is a really great all around solution. Big screen, firewire 400 AND 800, good graphics, etc. Upgrade to a 500GB hard drive, the 7600 graphics card, and you can attach another 23" ACD to it as well. If you just want a tower, I would go for the Mac Pro 2.66 with the x1900 GPU, 250GB HD, and 2GB RAM. That should put you pretty close to $3k.
  3. PowerMike G5 macrumors regular

Oct 22, 2005
    New York, NY
    I would go for the base model Mac Pro, but the 24" iMac seems to be a better choice for you. Just make sure to max out it's internal components like HD and RAM and graphics. Should be close to your budget, plus be an all in one machine.
  4. spicyapple macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    I can't recommend the iMac because of no additional internal HD upgradeability. Go for the Mac Pro 2.66Ghz quads, and add extra RAM. A x1900 is not required for video editing, unless you are also using Motion, and other 3D apps.
  5. asencif macrumors 6502

Dec 21, 2005
    It looks like you want to have multiple HD's in there and maybe have a raid set, separate scratch disk for FCP(assuming you will be using Final Cut). Since you already have a monitor as well, I recommend the 2.66GHZ Mac Pro with 2GB and maybe the ATI x1900xt if you are planning to game or use Motion.

I would get the rest of the RAM later from datamem, or owc, and additional HD's as well from, or other less expensive means.
  6. clintob macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2006
    New York, NY
    As spicyapple said, the big misnomer when putting together video editing machines is that you need a big fancy grapics card. Unless you're doing major 3D effects work and rendering, the graphics card isn't particularly relevant since even a 256MB card can probably handle real-time HD stuff if it's pretty straightforward.

Get yourself an upgradeable system, stuff it to the gills with RAM, and enjoy. The MacPro's HD expansion is laughably easy, so you can always expand that as you need it. It's a fantastic machine, and if you have the budget for two 23" displays, you'll be in heaven.

Well, digital geek heaven.
  7. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Go with the 2.66GHz Mac Pro and the ATI Radeon 512MB X1900XT graphics card and be prepared to be stunned by it's awesome performance! :D :)

Oh, and be sure to buy more RAM (at least 2GB). :)
  8. PowerMike G5 macrumors regular

Oct 22, 2005
    New York, NY
    People are right here ... if you intend to mainly do video editing with Final Cut Pro, upgrading your graphics card really isn't necessary as FCP doesn't use the card for anything ... although that may change in the future ...

buy stock and upgrade it when necessary.
  9. mac000 macrumors 6502a

Sep 6, 2005
    I guess your only choice is a MacPro, lots of config's, have fun!
  10. jaysmith macrumors regular

Aug 13, 2005
    i'm looking for a used mac pro right now, hopefully getting a 2.0 or 2.66 with stock graphics and about 4gb of ram. should be around 2400 if i look hard d enough, and thats pretty affordable when you think about how long it will last.
  11. eXan macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
    Get 2.66 GHz Mac Pro with at least 2 gigs of RAM. Dont bother upgrading the video card, unless you plan to use Motion. If you play games, even the stock GeForce 7300 is decent at lower resolutions: