Video editing on iMac?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Wano, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Wano macrumors 6502

I was wondering if anyone is doing hard core video editing and graphic work on the FP iMac? If so, how smooth/fast is it, and do you think the next FP iMac would be better to get than a low-end PowerMac with formac display?

2. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

1: dunno
    2: no

if you can get a pmac. they are upgradable at least and you get 1 000 000 more possibilities with it. only bad - need to go 23" to get HD. do you want HD???

3. ChicagoMac macrumors regular

Size of project seems to matter

I've done several projects in the last couple of months on my 17" Imac with 512 ram. The short ones seem to do fine, but I've had some problems with the longer ones. It seems that somewhere in the rendering process on the long ones (45-60min videos) the audio gets off from the video towards the end. I'm assuming it's a processor speed or lack of dual processor problem, but I could be wrong. It was fine before rendering. Also, if you plan on burning a long project to dvd, plan on it taking at least three hours for a 45 minute video. If I had the money I would get the 1ghz dual PM and a formac display. I'll probably just get the new, hopefully faster, Imac when it comes out.

4. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

i dunno bout the dp prob you mentioned.

the time clock might be out slightly. as for burning. at least in OS X you can do something else whilst you are waiting for it to finish.

just dont play quake.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you really wanna do a lot of editing or gfx work then get a PM and two monitors (2 17" CRTs would be the minimum). You'll also enjoy the extra "umph" dual procs will give you. I don't know the pros/cons of using an FP for video work but I know my graphix guys would choose a CRT over any current FP screen.

Lethal

6. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

7. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

When you say "hardcore video and graphics" are you saying a lot of iMovie and iPhoto. Or Final Cut Pro and Photoshop. Doing a lot of the first is not really hardcore and the iMac is fine.

If the latter, the iMac is NOT for you. You want, nay need the PowerMac. You get expandability, more ram capacity, dual processors, PCI expansions, etc, everything is better. And it will last longer...of yeah, did I mention the bigger HD? you need a large hd if you do a lot of video.

8. medea macrumors 68030

medea

yeah what exactly do you mean by "hard core?" Is this a major movie production or what? The iMac runs iMovie great, I have had zero problems with it, and you definitely could run FCP on the iMac but the performance wouldnt be as good as a powermac, it all depends on what your budget and how serious of a project this is, and your time frame.

9. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

A related question...

Is there some formula for DV editing to figure out how much HD space you need? I'll be doing some video editing and I'm curious how much external HD space I should buy.

x min of video = y GB of HD space ?

Thanks.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

5min per gig is the general rule of thumb.

Lethal

11. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

I mean Final Cut Pro, Photosop, some after effects and premiere...and I have a few projects I want to do. I am fairly serious about film and editing. Thanks for the input.

12. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

get a powermac. you will not only want it but need it.

you are doing serious stuff and you will appreciate that extra processor. all though, you dont know whow much you like it until you use a machine with just one .....