video editing question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by BLDun, Oct 20, 2006.

1. BLDun macrumors regular

I just purchased a Datavideo DAC-200 and hooked it up. I get video into and sound into imovie but the pic is always black and white instead of color. No matter how I configure the inputs or outputs it doesn't change. I redid the dip switches a number of times but to no avail. Any of you guys that have used this device have any answers???

Thanks for your help

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

My first guess is that you are trying to capture copy protected video and what you are seeing is Macrovision in action.

Lethal

3. BLDun thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know if it is or not. I did it before with a hollywood bridge and it worked fine until I loaned it to someone in my church and they broke it so I had to buy a new one so I got the datavision and now I get no color.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you bought the tape/DVD at a store and it's less than 20yrs old then it's pretty much guaranteed to be copy protected and all consumer devices (including converters) are supposed read for the Macrovision signal. If your Hollywood bridge didn't then you got lucky w/a lemon unit or something. ;)

Lethal

5. BLDun thread starter macrumors regular

Actually a year ago Easter - 2005 - I took the DVD for The Passion - with permission- and collected six scenes from it via the hollywood bridge and combined them into one and and used it for our Easter presentation and it worked great. I recorded the clips into imovies and spliced them together to make on longer one and had no problems. Are you saying that the bridge I used somehow allowed this to happen by accident?? If so, I may need to get that one fixed and keep using it.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yes, to the best of my knowledge your DV Bridge should not have allowed you to capture from a commercial DVD. Although if you search the board you'll find software based ways to capture ("rip") DVD footage.

Lethal

7. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

I've seen several devices that don't close the analog loop correctly, but it's not an advertised selling point.

A software based solution is a pain to get an editable DV file.
    Of course that's the way to go for quality.

8. Lebowski macrumors 6502

somehow this seems hard to believe.

9. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

permission from mel Gibson?

laughable

indeed

laughable

or perhaps, god, not the jews, was on his side!?

10. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

By some appalling error, the Dazzle Hollywood Bridge appears to not include copyright protection.

http://www.internetvideomag.com/ProductReviews/products2002/Dazzle Hollywood DV Bridge.htm

Oh the wanton negligence, the sheer inhumanity, how very appalled am I to find this grotesque product foolishly misleading you, an upstanding respected member of the Church, into wantonly pirating and ripping off Mr Gibson's film for your own selfish uses.

Sir, you must immediately with one hand, hand yourself into the RIAA and with the other hand write a new C++ module for your Hollywood Bridge to re-enable this vital functionality, and save your mortal eschachon from being forever stained etc etc (cont on page 94...)